In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

re blueing/ re finishing

JAR2140JAR2140 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
How much does it effect this value of a firearm if it is re-finished.

Comments

• Options
    ka11ka11 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say this but - it depends.

If you are wanting to reblue an antique then I would check with a dealer first. If it's just your "grap and go huntin" gun then do it.

In either case it's pretty hard to screw it up if you take your time.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It really does depend on the weapon. For instance i've seen people take ratty Turk Mausers, refinish and stain the stock, reblue the metal, polish the bolt, and were left with very fine looking guns that they then sold for $200 to people who wanted old guns that looked new, even if refinished. On the other hand if it is a collectable piece, like an old S&W from the late 1800s. refinishing really hurts the value unless it has been refinished previously or something.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    hunter7737hunter7737 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you refinish, the collector value is gone. The only value would be as a shooter.
  • Options
    gunone4gunone4 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you find a true pro even a collectble can be restored and the best of them can't tell,but it will cost alot.