In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ar-15 7.62x39?

chezickchezick Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering supplementing my sks with an AR type rifle. The reason is that I'm looking for something lighter and easier to handle. I was thinking an AR in the 7.62 x 39 because I could use the same ammo in both rifles and I also like the idea of the larger round. I've only read bad news about these guns and was wondering if anybody can tell me otherwise. I'm hoping the bad reviews I have read were just hard core .223 guys. Anybody out there have or had one of these?

Edited by - chezick on 10/25/2002 23:55:31

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    chezick, I am a hard core .223 guy and a Colt law enforcement dealer.
    There was a short run of Colt Match Target rifle produced from 1992 until around 1995 or 96. The early ones had flash hidders but all production after the Crime Bill came with plain muzzels. None had bayonet lugs as Colt removed those from all their "sporters" by that time. I think that Olympic Arms also had a run of their AR's in 7.62X39.

I have never owned a complete AR rifle in 7.62X39. I do have a pre-ban Colt conversion for that caliber. It is a complete upper assembly in the standard CAR configuration with short handgaurds and a 16-1/2" threaded barrel and is marked for a 1 in 12 twist. The flash hidder uses a different thread pitch to prevent the smaller .223 flash hidder from being installed- you won't get a .30 cal bullet out of that tiny hole! The sights are also different in that the rear drum is not marked and has a different hight adjustment from the .223 caliber. Otherwise the detachable carry handle appears identical to the .223.

The left side of the upper is clearly marked COLT 7.62X39. The bolt carrier is a standard late sporter type, but of course the bolt head is different so that the larger cartridge head can be accepted. Other wise there is not much difference and you'd be hard pressed to tell it from any otehr Colt AR at a glance. Fit and finish are up to Colt's usual standards.

Since this is a pre ban upper I have to use it on my LE AR-15's and it functioned perfectly with all good quality 7.62X39 ammo, although it does not care for steel cases very much! I've never tried it on one of my Bushmasters so I can't comment on how the unit would function on another brand of rifle. All and all it is a fun little extra for AR-15 shooting- along with a .22LR conversion, but I have not seen any for sale for a few years. I hope this information helps you.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up one of these at a gun show this year. It functions very well, and shoots both handloads and some of the very cheap surplus ammo into about 1.5" at 100 yards. I'm seriously considering taking it for deer in texas this year.

STAY AWAY from the Del-ton 7.62 uppers!

Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    This topic came up again and I simply wanted to bring this post out from the archives.

Mark T. Christian