In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ludwig Loewe (Waffenfabrik and person)

plautusplautus Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone point me to a comprehensive site about Ludwig Loewe, the German arms manufacturer.

I am not interested in a history of Mausers, rather I am interested in learning about the company and person, Ludwig Loewe.

Thanks very much![:D]

===
"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    To find the history of Lud Loewe, Grab anything to do with DWM and go backwards. Lud was a German Jew and when some Commission 88's had problems (premature barrel wear and explosive failure) the ole anti-Semite stuff started. DWM was a nice place to work behind the scenes and what could be more German than the great German Arms and Munitions! It comsumed everyone, even Mauserwerk, and it was originally controled by Loewe. Memory may have a few details fuzzy, but the gist is right.

There are a number of German language sites that have a very comprehesive history and even a few Spanish sites. However, I know of no English language sites. Perhaps the Pattern Room in the UK has something, but I have not run across it.

<P>
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did a on-line search for Ludwig Loewe in a number search engines, ( Bioagraphical & Encyclopedia Sites) No Luck!
    Only places I could find any Biographical Info was in these two books.

1), "HANDGUNS OF THE WORLD" by Edward C. Ezell

2), "DICTIONARY OF GUNS & GUNMAKERS by John Walter
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There is a brief biographical sketch (under 500 words) in The Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Worlds Firearms, by Ian Hogg, Quarto Limited, 1978. The Handgun, by Geoffrey Boothroyd, Bonanza Books, 1972 also has some brief biographical information on Loewe. The others I found were mentioned by member rufe-snow. There are pre WWII Eurpoean texts but I'll have to ask whether or not you can read German? Nearly all of these European texts are long out of print and would be difficult to impossible to locate today in the United States. When it comes to research I seldom give up hope, but I really have no where to direct you at this point.

Mark T. Christian
  • plautusplautus Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks -- all helpful information!! Nice!!

===
    "If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878