In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

World war II Luger

Victim16Victim16 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
My father has come into the possession of an original Luger from WWII.
It has the 2 bullets and is in the original leather carrying pouch.
Has not been touched / fired since WWII

I would just really like to know how much this is worth. He payed about 700$ to a buddy of his for the gun.
Thanks.

/e
The gun as well as the casing looks identical to this one:
German_Luger_17_89.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Looks identical" does not tell us much.
    Close clear pictures of the actual gun and description of all markings are what it will take somebody to estimate how good a deal he got. And he did get a good deal, any complete functional Luger is probably worth more than $700 these days.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Ask your dad to post quality closeup photos of all the markings on the exterior of the gun and the two magazines (I think that's your bullets).

Also, the stamps on the outside and inside of the holster (I think that's your pouch). Posting instructions are on top of this page under "posting photographs". Best, Joe

EDIT:
    Below is to give you an idea what proper photos should look like. Notice that all the markings are readable? They were taken outdoors, in open shade. Your photo shows only a black silhouette (easy mistake to correct). Best again, Joe

1937LugerMilitary002.jpg

1937LugerMilitary005.jpg

1937LugerMilitary011.jpg

1937LugerMilitary009.jpg

1937LugerMilitary019.jpg

1937LugerMilitary017.jpg
  • Options
    Victim16Victim16 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, i will get some pictures up as soon as i go home this weekend. (Out at college at the moment) :)

/e
    That photo is a stock photo off of google to give you guys an idea of what im talking about. Although im sure you pretty much already knew :)
    Again, when i get home ill give you guys some up close pictures like you said. Thanks again
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Dear Victim16..While you are taking better photos of your Luger, check to see if the magazine has # that matches the serial # of the pistol. Also, check the back of the holster to see the makers marks and the date of production, if any. Good condition Luger holsters are bringing top $...in the area of $300-600. Great condition holsters bring more. If your Luger #'s all match, and the magazine matches or has German proof marks, your rig could be worth in the area of 2k or up. German "bullets" are common. It could help value to establish the provenance of the rig...who got it? How was it "liberated?" How do you know it hasn't been "touched" since WWII? Get those questions answered and that should help value. I suggest you go over the entire rig with a glass to be able to answer all questions. Good shooting!
  • Options
    popspikepopspike Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my first posting, so please excuse my ignorance.

Wanted to post pictures of a German Luger as per givette's instructions but am obviously doing something wrong.

Can anyone help me through that process. Thanks!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by popspike
    This is my first posting, so please excuse my ignorance.

Wanted to post pictures of a German Luger as per givette's instructions but am obviously doing something wrong.

Can anyone help me through that process. Thanks!

Here are directions for posting photos to the forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

It would be best to start a new topic concerning your Luger, as the moderators generally lock the topics after 10 posts.