In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Desert Eagle .50ae problems.

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Ok so I was stupid and dished out $1400 on a new Desert Eagle at cabela's. I had the extra money I'd been saving, and left with a big smile on my face and hole in my wallet.

Anyway I'm having some problems, kinda malfunctions. Ammo locally is costing me $2.38 per shot so I can't exactly diagnose by trial and error.

First problem is the magazine. Do these things have to be broken in or does the follower normally stick? There is some kinda spring loaded wedge that pushes out of the side of the follower that is supposed to engage the slide lock after the last round is shot, but its creating enough friction to hold the follower. Seems like the single coil magazine spring isn't that strong. But its not what I think is causing malfunction because it only seems to stick when manually loading and unloading, not when shooting.

My second problem is, both times (only fired two magazines worth of ammo ever thru it) I shot the gun, with a full magazine, the first round fired, but the second round the slide did not go completely into battery. I to give it a nudge with my thumb maybe 1/8" forward, but then it functioned fine the remaining round. The slide locked back, I inserted a fresh fully loaded magazine, pressed the slide lock lever down and the slide went into battery. I fired the first round, it ejected fine, but then the same deal, the slide did not go completely home and I had to nudge it again with my thumb about 1/8" and the rest of the mag went fine?

I don't have alot of money or ammo left to diagnose problems via shooting like I said. I did follow the factory assembly and disassembly video and cleaned the factory preservative and re-lubricated the gun using break free CLP.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions on something I might have missed or need to double check? Is it possible that the gun being new just needs to be shot and "broken in"? Anyone else had any experience with the same problem?

For all my misspellings and really really bad grammar I want to apologize, I went to a public school :(

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I will make one statement "OIL IS YOUR FRIEND" freshly machined steel they most-times leave it dry this along with slight roughness. I suggest you lube all moving parts with some spray gun oil NOT WD40 . this goes for the inside of magazine as well . Are you saying the ammo is $238.00 per 100 [:0] $119.50 per box of 50 [:0]and $47.60 a box of 20 [:(!][V] OUCH You best start reloading .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, cabela's only sells speer gold dot ammo at 43.99 per 20, add 8.25% sales tax to that $47.62 total, divided by 20 is $2.38 per cartridge. Believe me, I'm already saving up for a set of dies and some reloading components.

The last new gun that I bought was a glock, so its been a while, everything else I had purchased since were the used new-ish kinda guns.

I looked on wolff springs website to see if there was an extra power magazine spring but no go there. I will clean and re-lube the gun, and double check my reassembly before I shoot again. I just really really don't wanna trial and error it. Thats why I was wondering if anyone else had similar experience.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Lee,
    I'm with Perry Shooter, oil. I had a 50 AE Desert Eagle for about 2 years and never had a single function problem, and I put 300+ rounds through it. You realy need to start loading if your going to keep that gun, and remember you can't shoot lead in an Eagle. Thats why I sold mine.
    W.D.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shop I worked at had a 44 and 50 Deagle as rental guns. Seemed both required frequent detail cleaning of the gas assembly to get them to run right.

Also I would reccomend you sling shot the slide instead of using the slide release to chamber the 1st round.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks drobs. I cleaned and re-lubricated the gun, will give it another go this weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Figured I give you guys an update, as I owe it to ya for helping me out with awesome advise. After proper cleaning and lots of lube, no problems what so ever. Well other than the price of ammo, but after some dies I'll help that out a bit.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear Lee!

That's a fun gun to shoot. I recall when it first came out some kids rented it in a range booth next to me. They fired a couple rounds each and were intimidated by it. I asked them if I could give it a try and put a nice group on their target. They asked me if I wanted to buy the rest of their ammo off them. I told them it was way to rich for my blood.

Not sure if you reload, but I recommend you save all your brass. It has value.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Great Have fun [^]