In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pheasant loads 20 ga.

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Gentlemen,
I am making this year's pheasant hunt with some old friends that I have never hunted with before. I used to dive with one of the guys and came to understand that he knew everything there was to know about diving and lobster catching. Never the less, the know-it-all is a fine person in all other respects. Due to the hassle of checking bags, I am only taking my 20 ga Ugartechea SxS this year. It is choked cylinder and improved cylinder and is chambered for 3" shells. My question is whether or not there is any real benefit to using 3" shells rather than 2 3/4" pheasant loads. My shotgun is light to begin with and I wonder if the longer (and maybe slower) shot stream amounts to any real benefit in the field. This is only my 4th pheasant hunt and most of the other times I hunted with my old 12 ga Ithaca NID, so I have a lot to learn about the smaller gauges. Thanks

I appreciate the advice and will go with the 3" shells. This shotgun was supposed to be choked IC and mod but my gunsmith measured it and told me it was closer to cyl and IC. It has work fine with dove but I know pheasants are quite a bit tougher. Thanks again.

Comments

• rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a SxS 12ga I used occassionally with IC and Mod chokes for pheasant hunting and based on where you will be shooting pheasant and the type of shots that will be presenting themselves, a cylinder and IC made be a little too open.

To increase your chances, you may want to consider the 3" just for the additional shot you will be putting out. You may also want to consider a larger shot size than normal.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a general rule I like as many pellets as possible when hunting pheasant. However, those Kansas fields seem to be getting longer every year so a lighter gun is welcome. I use a 16 gauge Browning A5 as the weight is close to a 20 and the load is adequate for pheasants. If I were shooting a 20 and had a three inch chamber I'd use 3 inch sells with a max load of #6s. Some will argue that the pattern and shot string are not optimal with the 3 inch 20 but in the field I'll take that chance and go with the extra pellets. I use improved cylinder and find it adequate for all but the longest shots. The open pattern sure helps with those startling close in rises and I don't hit many of the long shots anyway. . .so maximize the probability on the close to medium ones. Works for me anyway. Good luck.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=365203GP

I shot those till I sold my 20 last year. Tried many wad/recipe combos and couldn't assemble a load that patterned as well. As 22highpower stated, with your chokes a higher pellet count would be in order. The nickle plated shot will help compensate for lost pellet energy with smaller shot.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot the 3 inch shells and ENJOY your hunt. Will give you another 5 yards or so.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With your gun being light choked to start with, I would use 3 inch #6 shot loads. Most pheasant guns are mod and IC choked, with the IC being for the close in work.

Best
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will be fine on the opening weekend as the birds haven't been shot at yet. As they get wilder they fly up farther away from the hunter. I personally like #5 shot but they are harder to find, your shooting ability is what really makes the difference. Try some sporting clay shooting before you go and then just enjoy the hunt and friendship. Some days your hot and some your not.[:D][}:)]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't say if you are using pointing dogs or driver/stander hunting. I would not feel under gunned with a 20 using 1 ounce of #6 shot behind a pointing dog. I have never fired a 3" 20 ga shell at anything but I have used 2 3/4 mags with 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 ounce on pheasants a few times and didn't find it that much fun. My last pheasant hunt was with a 28 ga with 3/4 ounce # 7 1/2 in the IC and 1 oz #6 in the Mod barrel. None that were hit were lost. The premium ammo with copper or nickel plated shot will benefit you more than the 3" shells. I've killed many pheasants with 12 ga handloads equivalent to 3 1/2 Dr 1 1/4oz copper #6 even with a skeet choke.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don Zutz was a writer who wrote many books on shotgun loads in the 60's and 70's. On the standard 20 Ga he states "The one-ouncers with I/C handles 25-30 yards with ease." His book "Handloading for Hunters" is excellent. The best way to find out if your gun can "do the job" is to pattern it with different loads. A dead bird all depends on range, load, pattern and skill...
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also take some larger shot unless you are fast enough to get them on the rise. Not being the greatest shot, I prefer #4 and 5 for longer shots as there's more energy per pellet. You can put the bigger shot in the second barrel.
    If you're not hunting over dogs, you don't want wounded birds to hit the ground running.
  • airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For years I hunted pheasants with a 20 ga. SXS. It had 2 3/4 chambers, and I used #5 or #6 shot. The gun was choked full/mod and worked like a dream. I think you will find yhat cylinder bore or larger will pattern to widely, especially at longer ranges.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have an A5, 12 and 20.
    Years ago the birds were wild
    in Nh now they're stocked and
    flush for the most part, close.
    I use the Walmart high brass
    "3 or 4" pack -6's or 71/2"
    and have had no problem.
    Towards the end of the season
    I see more flushes further
    away and I stick to 6's.
    I only use a 20 (ic)now , I peeled
    a bird open with a 12 on a close flush,
    what a mess.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robin,

Congratulations on your hunt with old friends! There is nothing better.

I've used an older 20ga. superposed for a long time, choked like yours. While it is wonderful for grouse and woodcock in the woods, it was a challenge in the pheasant fields.

I found that I could use a combination of #6 copper plated shot buffered to get a little tighter pattern. This is a standard for me for any field shooting now.

Good Luck and Enjoy the hunt!

Best.