In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Sigma

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Any opinions good or bad about the s&w sigma sw9ve 9mm. I'm still looking for a 9mm. Don't want to rush and end up dissapointed.

Comments

• pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw several S&W Sigma 9mm and .40S&W pistols for ~$330+ at a local gun show and I was kind of interested in buying one in .40S&W. Anyone have any experience with these guns? Have you found them to be reliable and accurate? I'm tempted to get an SW40F full size, maybe with night sights. I'd like to get your thoughts on these guns, I may possibly buy one when the gun show next comes to town. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
    edited November -1
    How do you smooth, or lighten up the trigger pull on the S&W sigma handguns? Thanks.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search here on the forum regarding the Stigma, it's been discussed many times in the past, usually negatively.

Go with a Glock, more reliable, and with the 3 1/2 lb. ( drop in) connector installed, much better trigger pull then the Stigma.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tip on the search function. Now I can inquire without making anybody have to repeat themselves.
  • bustinstainlessbustinstainless Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its pretty much hit or miss
    the newest ones seem to be reliable old ones c or f series have a glock trigger design sigma got sued and changed it but not much
    the most common complaint is the trigger pull
    this can be worked out with some work
    if price is an issue a used glock costs about the same as a new sigma
    with a glock there are many configurations to work with
    sigma is limited to a tactical rail not much you can do to it like barrels,large mags,conversion kits and more
    bottom line sigma is a basic pistol point aim shoot by the time you're done with mods you could have paid for a glock
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an eariler model of Sigma 9mm. It did not shoot straight! But I recently bought one of the newer .40 staineless and it's not too bad. Of course Glock is superior to Sigma even though they are pretty much built the same. But if you only have $300- the Sigma is can get the job done.
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I had before the boat flipped went bang everytime and so did three others that various friends had. All where SW40VE. But I like the Glock I had way better even though Glocks suck. [:D] Damn boat accidents...
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 380 by my bedside,,thats how much I think of those,,,wife can handle it well,,,have a SW 40 and it works for me..imo,,given a bad rep..your mileage may vary..nambu
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my bud has one....couldnt hit paper with any group worth a darn..he went out and bought the walther pps and loves it
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an earlier model Sigma in 40S&W. It wasn't very accurate. Also, not sure if it is because I have small hands, but it tended to cut into the webbing of my right hand after a couple of mags. I didn't have the problem with any of my Glocks or other semi autos. Can't speak from experience on the newer Sigmas.
  • airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My SW9F fits my hands much better than a Glock, has never had a FTF or FTE, and I can keep inside a 12" circle offhand at our 100 yd. rifle range. I haven't found any ammo which it does not like. You can't "accessorize" it like the Glocks. Dunno if it will hold up as well, either, but so far it has done fine. But a friend bought a newer SW9VE and had nothing but problems with his. After 3 trips back to S&W, he got rid of it. So maybe the Sigmas, or at least some of them, are hit-and-miss, so to speak.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sigma is basically a Glock clone.

Biggest problem with the Sigma is a poor (long, heavy and gritty) trigger pull.

Other than that the newer ones are OK.

You could do worse for your $300, though you could also probably do better.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Worst trigger I have ever found on what should have been a quality pistol. The weight of pull makes the DA pull of a Makarov feel like a match pistol by comparison.