In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mystery Suppressed Rifle

hjones2359hjones2359 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey Guys, I am still in search of any information on an .300 Anabis. To date I have found very little about actual rifle, but quite alot about a video game called anabus. If you have anything on the .300 anabis suppressed rifle please pass it on.

Harry Jones

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    What info do you have on it? How did you find it? How did you decide you wanted to spend $3500 on it? How old are they? Who made them? What caliber (or what is it based on)? How quite is it? What kind of accuracy and range does it have.

I have several suppressed guns and they are fun for sure. How long till you get yours?
  • hjones2359hjones2359 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the note Nwcid.
    Here is all I know about the anabis. It is a .300 caliber rifle that the previous owner told me was purchased from a Law enforcement officer. It is a internally suppressed weapon. It looks very similar to a model 700 on a hogue stock. The previous owner and I worked out a price based on other internally suppressed weapons that I have purchased. The anabis also has a very impressive Leapold tactical scope mounted. The rifle is very accurate out to 100 yards. I would be lying if I tried to answer how accurate, but it is way more accurate than I am. The rifle is very quite. It is just a little more than a Pellet gun, maybe two times the level of a pellet gun. I also have a internally suppressed .308 purchased and built from Johns Guns shop in west texas. This .308 cost 2600.00 with no accessory's so I believe the price was fair. At any point I am very satisfied with it. It just kils me not to know more about it!!

Thanks,
    Harry Jones
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well I am guessing you mean .30 cal, ie .308. What is the parent brass that it uses? Well if it is bolt action then there are only few choices of actions to use so the R700 could be it.

I have a .300 Whisper AKA .300 Fireball AKA .300-221. This a .30 cal bullet fired from a necked up .221 case (or a cut down and sized .223). Usually the heavier 200gr + bullets are used for subsonic loadings. The 240gr SMK's seem to be one of the most popular but I am shooting 220gr Hornady RN's as they shoot well for me and are about 1/3 the price of the SMK's
    edited November -1
    You are correct it is a .30 caliber. Sorry, I dropped the ball on that one. I am new to posting and I have a ton to learn about these suppressed rifles!! Thanks for the reloading info!

Harry
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Nwcid has pointed out the most critical thing: You need to determine the parent cartridge.

It really doesn't matter whether you call it a .300, or .308, or .30; there are lots of rounds that are nominally .300" at the bore. What counts is the round for which it is chambered. You can't go into a gunshop & ask for a box of ".300 Anabis ammo".

Hopefully the seller marked the boxes of the ammo he gave you. Or, you might want to check the cartridge head stamps. I assume it's not a "wildcat", or you would have been given a set of dies. Otherwise, you can post photos of a single round, with dimensions (use a micrometer), & I know nononsense can identify it.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Thanks nmyers,

I appreciate everyones comments! The previous owner did give me a set of dies with this rifle. He also told me that the ammo was an issue. I was fortunate that he donated a couple boxes of shells that were hand loaded. I am still very happy with the rifle, even with these diffultys it has a very special place in my collection. The only bad thing is it has prevented me from shooting the rifle as often as I would like. Everything that I have found to date confirm the info that Nwcid described about the cartridge.

I have just recently been interested in the suppressed weapons and all that goes with it. Previously, my knowledge was that I owned a very nice 7mm mag Remington that, I was able to tag 3 shots at 100 yds, using off the shelf 129 gr Hornadys. In other words, I am pretty dumb combared to you guys on this site, and all the others as far as that goes...

Thank you very much for the info,

Harry Jones

PS do you thing nononsense would mind me sending him a message about this rifle?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hjones2359,

I have no problem with anyone using my e-mail for questions or comments. That's why it's in my profile and accessible.

To refresh your memory though, I am the one who sent you the other gentleman's contact information a few days ago. That is the only reference I've seen to the rifle or the cartridge. I have checked my books that I have access to right now and don't see a listing. It appears that we are going around in circles without any definitive information from you.

Yes, we know it's .30 caliber.

You need to post photographs of the loaded cartridge with accurate dimensions so we can see if it's just a private reference to an already existing cartridge. Seeing the headstamp will also explain some details. There have been occasions where a gunsmith or company uses another name for cartridge even though the same cartridge exists but goes by another name.

Pictures of the rifle would be a plus just so we can have the perspective of what actually shoots this cartridge.

Without more detail and photographs, there really isn't much to be done.

Best.
    edited November -1
    nononsense,
    I do recall your previous post on this gun. In fact I have sent a e-mail to Mr. Cain a couple days ago. Thank you so much for that. Hopefully, I will be able to get some information from him and I will post it on here.

Like I said, thank you so much for the info you have given me. I am sure it seems like we are going around in circles. The search is driving me crazy, as well!! I will try to protect you guys from the insanity untill I am able to give more facts.

Have a great day!

Harry
  • hduncelhduncel Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .300 Anabis is a proprietary cartridge created by Mr. Dennis Dale Blaylock of Gun Barrel City, TX during the mid-1990s. Mr. Blaylock was a manufacturer of Title II (NFA) firearms and suppressors during the 1990's - early 2000's. His business entity is Blaylock Gun Works, somtimes shortened to BGW, and an ATF EZ Check indicates his FFL remains current.

The .300 Anabis is based on the 7.62x39 cartridge, but uses the much heavier 220 grain .308 Match King BTHP projectile from Sierra. The cartridge's name is a mis-spelling of "Anubis", the Greek name for an Egyptian god associated with burial and mummification. The firearm is built on a Remington Model 7 action and utilizes a slow twist-rate barrel custom manufactured by Shilen (IIRC). The gun includes a full-length integral suppressor, and uses a McMillan stock (again, IIRC). The rifle I shot in the mid 1990's was very heavy but exceedingly accurate, very quiet and had an incredibly light and crisp trigger.

Due to the proprietary nature of the cartridge, Mr. Blaylock provided a set of custom RCBS dies and loading information with each rifle sold. He made very few, being in the $2500-3000 range.

Mr. Blaylock has been a Justice of the Peace since the late 1990's.

HTH,

Howard
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hduncel,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums and thank you for helping with this question.

One part I question though is the statement about twist rate:

"...utilizes a slow twist-rate barrel custom manufactured by Shilen (IIRC)"

Heavy bullets at low velocities (approx. 1,000 fps) for sound suppression generally require a fast twist to keep the longer, heavier bullets stable. My calculations for this bullet at 1,000 fps seems to call for a 1:7" twist rate which is considered to be a fast twist.

Best.