In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

more model 12 questions

manwinchmanwinch Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
Question 1: Is ther any easy way to determine if the ventialated rib on a 12 is a milled rib?

Question 2: Do you have any idea how many 12, skeet, 16 ga., WS-1'S were produced?

Question 3: Speaking stricly of pre 64 models 12, do you think that ther are thousands of guns still out there that are ORIGINAL and in at leasst 90% condition.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by manwinch
    Question 1: Is ther any easy way to determine if the ventialated rib on a 12 is a milled rib?

Question 2: Do you have any idea how many 12, skeet, 16 ga., WS-1'S were produced?

Question 3: Speaking stricly of pre 64 models 12, do you think that ther are thousands of guns still out there that are ORIGINAL and in at leasst 90% condition.

1. Around 1954 Winchester introduced there own "special rib", Pretty sure it was NOT milled. Instead of having dovetail posts milled on the barrel they were brazed to the barrel.

2. No, records are very few on the M12.

3. Alot of M12's were used as they were intended, hence there condition can be rough. Alot of them have been restored for a 2nd or even 3rd life. Original 90% and above pre 64 M12's will always be collectible and will continue to increase in value over time. How many are out there??? A small percetage of the overall guns produced...thats the best I can do. I have 2 NIB pre 64 12's and 1 mint cond.
  • Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello manwinch,

quote:Question 3: Speaking stricly of pre 64 models 12, do you think that ther are thousands of guns still out there that are ORIGINAL and in at leasst 90% condition.

I have several in or better than the condition you describe (have not counted lately), and I don't consider myself a serious Model 12 collector, so yes, I believe there are at least more than 2000 Model 12's out there in original 90% or better condition.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with schintzie... and if you consider the fact that there were 1,970,885 pre-64 Model 12s manufactured, and that as few as 1% of them are still in 90%+ condition (the percentage could very easily be higher), that means that nearly 20,000 guns are out there in highly collectable condition.