In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning BSS Barrel Shortened

famous wolffamous wolf Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am considering having my 26" BSS cut down 3" to 23" and have choke tubes installed. I want to specifically use this gun for turkey hunting and since 26" is way longer than I need and 23" seems to be plenty of length plus allow for a very short gun it seems to make sense. I also want to put a "ramp" type sight on the end and a larger bead (similar to what I have on an old Wingmaster barrel that doesn't have a vent rib). Also plan to install sling swivels to the gun. I know some will say that it is a crime to cut these barrels, but I think the gun will look better a little shorter and will handle better in the turkey woods. I like short guns. I don't see how it will affect "regulation" if the barrels are cut straight. I guess a potential issue would be barrel separation. I would have the work professionally done, by Briley if possible. Welcome any comments or thoughts on this idea.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell it and get a pump gun with tubes ect, with ray bar sights and factory swivels../ I would hate to see it cut,,,but its your call/
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Briley choke tubes will cost you $400.
    I don't see exactly what they will charge for shortening conventional double barrels but it is $350 on a OU with no side ribs like Krieghoff. Sling swivel $75 and $55 for a bead alone.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for get another gun. Keep your old one too. I made a combat 870 with 20 in barrel, sling, screw in tubes, a mid bead, a pistol grip and an extended mag. At 36 in total length it is very handy in the woods and would cost about half of the briley tubes.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell your Browning SxS, to someone who will love it as is. With the funds you get from that, you can most likely buy a slew of coach guns to have butchered to your likeing.

Best
  • Options
    azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf, Hey, it's your firearm so do what you want. There are many good shotgun gunsmiths out there that can do the work you want without the cost/overhead of having Briley doing the work.
    The barrels aren't going to come apart when shortened and there are dozens of choke tube configurations available.Might consider a fiber optic front sight. Very bright and various colors. Good luck with your project.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by azpowerwagon
    There are many good shotgun gunsmiths out there that can do the work you want without the cost/overhead of having Briley doing the work.

That is true.
    You said Briley so I looked up Briley.
    Carlson will thread a SxS for choke tubes for $175-$190 and saw the barrels off for $65. A set of colored beads is $65 there.