In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Safe

jss1956jss1956 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking into getting a gun safe with fire protection. Only thing is I'm kinda stupid on this subject. I looked on line and they all seem about the same to me. My price range is gonna be around $500.00 and I'm thinking 10 to 12 guns should be plenty big enough. Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello, I am looking for info on what is thought to be the best gun safes on the market. Need some input from folks that. What do you have and why do you like or dislike it.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm way off base here, but first I would teach the kids about guns! How much fun they can be,but also teach them how deadly they can be when improperly handled! Locking up all your guns does absolutely nothing if your kid is visiting a neighbor's kid and they decide to play with a firearm.Teach them never to handle a firearm unless there is an adult present, and if one of their friends ever happens to have a weapon without an adult present tell them to leave the room immediately, go outside, get away from the weapon, and the person with it! Now go buy that safe!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im finally buying a safe and have become pretty set on the Patriot Collector. Before I spend the money would like some second opinions on this one though. Is it as good as they claim. And I usually hate anything electronic when it comes to security or firearms. Is the lock (X2400) any good on this thing or is going to screw me in the long run?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK I've finally reached a point where I need a decent gun safe. I found a 32 gun capacity safe at a great price from a well known manufacturer. My research says this is one of the better buys for the money.

My question is can I put this safe upstairs? And what is the best method for hauling this thing upstairs, an appliance dolly or what?

My home was built in 1995 and the floor joists are 2X10s on 16" centers. I don't have a basement and really no great place to put it downstairs. The safe weighs just under 500 lbs. I have a couple of brave trusty friends willing to help me move this thing upstairs (the beer tab will be worth it). Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just won a 1892 .44-40 and need to have it stored securely. I have decided that I want to store it in a safe and was hoping for a few siuggestions as to a quality safe that won't leave me broke. Chances are very good that more firearms will be acquired over the next few years but right now just the one. Also, it will be going on the second floor of the house so will need to be carried up a set of stairs by a couple of burly men. Thanks for your suggestions.

Penny Pincher
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking into buying a quality gun safe. Something better than the cheap tin $70.00 safe I have now. My concern is moisture. Does anyone have any tips regarding location the safe should be in a house and what type of safe I should look to buy. I want something with at least 30 minute fire protection. Is a basement a bad place to put a gun safe for moisture concerns? My basement is an average basement, not prone to excessive moisture or flooding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have come to that point where I need a standing gun safe. I don't own high end firearms but they are mine and I would like to keep it that way. There was a flier in the Sunday paper for a Cannon 24-gun fire safe rated 30 min, UL RSC,commerical grade,type-1 lock that seems to fit the need. Any feedback?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have inherited a Browning Pro Steel 32 gun safe, don't have serial/model number. It was bought new in the early 80's, just trying to find some info on it, need to get rid of it, any help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You may try www.equipmentland.com the price is 350 and 67 shipping and handling. Good luck

Larry w. Jose
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for a good deal on a Homak gun safe. The model in question is Mod. #36614. It holds 14 long guns and has a quick access on top w/ an electronic keypad that opens a drawer that looks like it will hold a pistol or two. Any input on where I might be able to find one or something comparable would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought my first gun safe today. Need advice on if I need a dehumidifer or silca gel cans or both in there to help with the humidity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need help in regards to purchasing a good safe for our home. I have been trying to find a source to compare different companies.

Keep your sights on the Lord, you can't miss.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The key is LOTS of help! Remove the door to help save weight while you're moving it. I wouldn't recommend the appliance dolly based on my experience. When I brought my safe home (32 gun) I brought it on a trailer made for hauling tractors with very thick floor boards. When we strapped the safe to the dolly to unload (it was loaded with a forklift) I rocked it back onto the wheels to roll it to the ramp, but all of the safes weight transferred to those little wheels that are on appliance dollys and the wheels broke right through the floor of the trailer. I'd recommend figuring out something else so you don't have that problem on your living room floor. What, I have no idea. We only had to drag mine across gravel and down 3 cement steps into my basement... It was NOT fun. If I ever move, I will probably just leave it here and have a new safe delivered to the new house. I doubt my friends would be willing to help move it again.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would make sure I located it near a point where the floor joist were supported by a wall downstairs and not mid-span, otherwise while that much weight will not initially produce a noticable sag it will over time.
    A heavy duty dolly should handle 500 easy, check Lowes or Home Depot.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or, you could look at a modular safe from Zanotti Armor.

Neal
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Same subject of a safe, kind of a sidenote. Buy a bigger one than the one you found. Buy one that right now at the moment you think is stupid big. Trust me. BTW, welcome to the fray.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't hurt to set it on a piece of 1 1/8" plywood so as to spread its' weight out evenly over the existing subfloor and joists. Also, I agree with the above post about putting it over a bearing wall to help support the weight. As for moving it up the stairs, I've seen stair-climbing dollys used for large appliances. You might see if a rental center in your area has one available.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    Same subject of a safe, kind of a sidenote. Buy a bigger one than the one you found. Buy one that right now at the moment you think is stupid big. Trust me. BTW, welcome to the fray.

I'd have to agree with this. I've got less than 20 guns in my 32 gun safe and already have to remove some to get to others. There is NOT as much room as you think once you start dealing with scopes etc that don't let the guns sit perfectly into that tiny little groove for the barrels.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    How many square feet is the bottom? Now take 32 times about 8 pounds per gun and add that to 500 pounds. Divide the square feet number into the weight number and see how many pounds per square foot you are loading the floor with. Since you have a focused load (it sets on one spot) I think you don't want a number larger that 75 to 100 pounds per foot.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See if you can get a package deal and get 2 16 or 20 gun safes. Keep one on each floor. You can offload your dead weight on spans and not have all your eggs in one basket.
  • Options
    JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I moved this one: DSCN2798.jpg I used one of my forklifts, of course at 4,000 pounds it was a tad to heavy to put upstairs at the house. I have no real experience with moving a little 500 pound safe.[:D]
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    There are quite a few threads on monsterfishkeepers.com regarding placement of large fish tanks in upstairs areas... same concept. You want very close to a supporting wall, and you want to go perpendicular to the joists so that you are bridging over several of them.