In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Pocketlite

dennisernstdennisernst Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to purchase a Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380. I would call it somewhere around 90%, some small marks on top of the slide and it does come with 3 mags. Any and all info on this would be greatly appreciated. The seller is asking $500.00 firm. Good deal or not.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would call that "Full List Price". But, these guns are in demand & not readily available in some areas, so it may still be worthwhile if you are in a "dry" state.

Neal

EDIT: 90% is a fair amount of wear for this model. If "collectibility" is a factor, you want to find one of these in 99% or better condition, with the box & papers. A NIB SS version recently went for $1,700.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your reply. That is what I kind of thought but the fact that these are getting hard to find might justify the price. MAYBE.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    the mustang pocketlite was only made for 1 year, so there's never been a large supply of them. their value has gone up with collectors (i just bought a LNIB for $900), but the increased popularity of the small .380's has also inflated the price.
    if you don't care if it's a colt, look at he sig p238, which is basically the same gun.
    the sig with a pocketlite i bought a few yrs back for $500:

dscf0319s.jpg
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd buy it. They're hard to come by, a great carry, a fun shooter, and won't lose value.
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one new back in the day. At the time it was the most punch in a very small package. They are light and fit in a jeans pocket, hence the name I guess, but they are as easy as a cell phone to carry all the time.

I would warn you that mine will not cycle cor-bon hollow points at all, and is shaky on JHP's in general. FMJ work all the time, and my solution was the JHP's with the plastic tip to round off the nose, which work fine.

They originally came with 2 mags, so $500 is not that bad, depending on how it looks, as they are getting 'collectable' now. As mentioned above, if you are looking purely for function, you can get something else new for that price that is every bit as good (Ruger LCP comes to mind if I were buying right now).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to thank everyone that offered their opinion and thoughts. I have looked at the LCP, the TCP and the Sig which was really nice, and bought the new S & W Bodyguard 380. This is when I was told, by the dealer who is a great friend, that I really needed to add this Colt to my collection because of the collectability of it. I am just hoping I can get him down slightly. I really enjoy this site and the forum. It has taught me a bunch about friearms. Keep up the grea job.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought one used maybe 15 years ago. Came with 2 mags, one functioned fine, one jammed with JHP. So ordered another magazine and it functioned fine too. Mine now cycles JHP Federal ammo flawlessly with these 2 mags, altho I never tried Corbons with it. Very light, very well made gun. I put a hundred or so rounds through each magazine to make sure it likes my ammo, but being an aluminum frame gun I dont intend nor have I shot the heck out of it. It really isnt a 1911 design with a link: disassembly shows the barrels lug has a cam cut in it that rides in the slide stop pin. Internally the barrel will hit the frame at this juncture during recoil, slowed down by 2 springs. Mine shows the anodizing worn away there but it is not battered there. I do not know if a lot of shooting would batter it, but if this is a used gun you may see if the dealer will field strip it for you so you can check if it is battered. $500 is probably in the ballpark for one now...saw one in the box at an Ohio gun show with 600 on it but it wasnt moving.