In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

W Richards Double Hammer Shotgun

jhengelkejhengelke Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I would like to determine the age, origin and potential value of a W Richards Double Hammer shotgun which I have.
On the bridge of the barrel is stamped "W Richards London Laminated Steel". On the underside of each barrel is the #14 and what appears to be two stampings of two crossed English axes. On the barrel under the forestock is the #100. This is also present on the metal plate on the underside of the forestock.
Under what I know as the breachplate (underneath the barrels when you open the gun) again is the # 100 and the two stampings of the crossed axes. The sideplates on the stock are stamped W Richards and has filigree and what appears to be a large flying goose engraving. This engraving is also present on the underside of the trigger guard.
Additionally, I would appreciate any direction as to where I might locate a replacement hammer (rt side), screw for the trigger guard and screw for the butt plate.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a well known English maker of fine shotguns- Westley Richards. Unfortunately, yours was made in an effort to cash in on that name, and is a different company entirely. You will also find it with Barker (for Parker) and Greene (for Greener). IIRC, have seen the W. Richards guns in the Sears catalog around 1900. "Fine London Twist" is not high quality damascus. and I would not fire anything in it- when new, they were intended for black powder shells. You may be able to find parts at Brownells, dixie Gun, or gunpartscorp.com
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Googled around a little and found mention of:
    W. Richards - Reputable British gunmaker not associated with Westley Richards.
    http://www.wrichardsguns.co.uk/

W. Richards - Belgian knockoff meant to be mistaken for Westley Richards.

W. Richards - Belgian knockoff sent to Birmingham England for British proofs to really be mistaken for Westley Richards.

W. Richards - American knockoff meant to be taken for Westley Richards.

Maybe you have the real British maker, maybe you have the English proofed Belgian knockoff.

Parts will be scarce in any event, the gun is 100+ years old.
    If it is the real British W. Richards, it would pay to have a hammer and screw made. Otherwise, not.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    I have twelve listings for old shotguns marked with some form of the name Richards. Four of the names were used on Belgian made guns, five of the are English and the rest are either American made "Trade Brand Name" shotguns or dealers names. Two of the names are both W. RICHARDS and both are English makers, one located in Preston, England and the other in Liverpool,England Both operated in the 1880s. The more famous English gun maker Westley Richards spelled his name out in full. So based on the information you gave the gun would have been made some time between 1880 and 1900. Value? Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition, You did not mention these. A prime example might bring as much as $175 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage might bring in $10. Most sell on the various gun auction sites for $50 to $75. You can try Dixie Gun parts at (www.dixiegunparts) for the parts.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decorator guns, for over the fireplace, can go for more.
  • Options
    EddpyattEddpyatt Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun inherited from my great grandfather. Everything said above is true. Many years ago I inquired of a gun magazine who confirmed this information. The best way to get parts would be to buy a parts gun. They are on GunBroker regularly.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1