In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 guide rod...abnormal wear?....NOW w/Pics

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
Ok, so I noticed that on my 1911, the outer portions of the guide rod (the outer protion of the "half mood" if you will) have been slowly wearing a bit. It has been like this for some time (I would say at least 6,000 rounds). Yesterday I showed it to a guy in a gun shop, and he and the shops gun smith said it was unusual, and that it was from the guide rod, contacting the slide, and that it needed to be fixed. I was told he would probably need to replace the guide rod (it is not a full length, its a reg. "mil spec." type), probably add a 18# spring instead of the 16# and possibly "clean up" the inside of the slide.

I didnt actually get to talk to the smith as he was in the back of the shop. I spoke with the salesman, who seemed rather polite and smart (at least he didnt just let it slam into batt. without a round)

Thing is....for the past 6,000 rounds, I havnt noticed any noticeable difference in accuracy or relability. I shoot nothing but factory loaded 230 grain ball as reccomended by the owners manual. I field strip, and give a through cleaning at the end of every range day, and I lube the slide rails with neco-moly grease as well as all other moving parts.

After looking at the slide, im pretty sure it dosnt need to be "cleaned up" (the smith never looked at the slide)...its machine edges are still nice and crisp and show little wear. the guide rod is noticeably worn.

I was wondering if maybe all I would need to do is replace the guide rod and the spring. It would save me some money, and perhaps improve the performance of my pistol.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can to clarify.

OK, so the pics are not very good. But hopefully you guys can get an idea of what im talking about.

IMGP1301.jpg

IMGP1302.jpg
IMGP1305.jpg
IMGP1307.jpg
IMGP1306.jpg
IMGP1303.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures too blurry, change to a macro setting and EDIT the post for best results. You don't need to clean a 45 that much, you will cause more wear by the cleaning than the shooting.

Save yourself some money and shoot some lead bullets too. [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately Your pictures are taken with a camera that either does not have a MACRO lens setting or you do not have it turned on . Is the wear on the shaft of the guide or the rear part that pushes against the frame itself[?][?].
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks to me, even in the blurry pics to be normal wear. Make sure your spring is on the right way,tight coils on rod.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Unfortunately Your pictures are taken with a camera that either does not have a MACRO lens setting or you do not have it turned on . Is the wear on the shaft of the guide or the rear part that pushes against the frame itself[?][?].

From the pictures, it looks like the rear where it is moving back and forth.
    You need a stronger recoil spring to hold it bac against the frame.
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have circled what looks like a wear mark in your picture:

recoilguide.jpg

If this is the area that is wearing, I do not think that is normal. If you do not have a corresponding wear mark on the slide, I don't think it is that big of a deal, if the gun is functioning fine.

I agree with DCS (because he is a genius) and would try a stiffer spring. A recoil buffer pad might also stop the wear. It may not, but they are cheap.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had this same problem. Its due to high time on the recoil spring. Don't go to a stronger spring. Just replace the spring with the same as what was in it before. Your spring has gone weak. If you want to replaced the recoil rod this is the time to do it. You can replace both for under $20 by your self, you don't need some sales guy to charge you for some thing you do at every cleaning anyways. If you arn't having trouble with it catching during assy/disassy. You can just add a recoil buffer with the new spring and not need to sweat it to much. Parts are cheap and plentyful.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for all the help and advice. The part 45 for me circled is the place that shows abnormal wear.

I also called Wolff springs and spoke with a guy nammed Dave at their company....they really do take the time to explain things, and are great with Customer service. I decided to by a replacment spring from them. i have gone with the reg. 16# spring.

The gun was still functioning fine, but its had about 10,000 rounds put through it, and not part replacment. Dave agreed with the assesment that the spring is well due to be replaced (probably a while ago), and that based on the description I gave him, it probably wouldnt hurt to replace the guide rod as well just to be preventive.

I am now trying to fing a good quality guide rod to buy. I have decided to stick with the reg. length, and would love a reccomendation for a good guide rod.

Thanks guys for all your help. You guys were spot on with the guy at wolff springs and having several opinions that all seem to match, i am confident I understand the problem.

Thanks!...and any recommendations on a guide rod would be welcome as well...just no Full length for me.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Wilson Combat part #R8-$4.95 or his bullet proof one, #575-$7.95.
    Or check www.midwayusa.com for some. They carry a bunch.
  • Options
    hijumperrs2hijumperrs2 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    older post but the guide rod is wearing because of how the barrel is linking down in relation to the guide rods fit on its ears inside the slide ways that with spring wear and possible barrel rotation from loose link pin cause wear in this area. i would check link pin side play.replace with a good guide rod,new wollf spring,new fitted (both length and width)link pin. and check to see how much side tolerance there is between the ears of the guide rod and the slide.usually this small amount of wear you mention is minor but it does hinder slide speed and operation and shows of worn another issue.if you run a buffer make sure it is smaller then the guide rod end or it will rub and hinder slide operation as well. good luck. the 1911 will talk to you if you take time to listen,great question and observation !1911 rules!
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, I've seen those wear marks before. Your spring is worn out. Get a new one and be done with it. Also I know alot of people don't like recoil buffers but they will help keep from damaging your recoil rod even more. IMO
  • Options
    hijumperrs2hijumperrs2 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    on the subject of worn out springs,why waste your time.install a new wollf (16 lb.- standard ammo government) chrome silicon recoil spring.it does not take a set like conventional springs,literally lasts thousands and thousands of rounds and is super reliable even in a stored pistols.its a no brainer.i personally am a fan of the wollf 16.5 lb. variable rate recoil(goevernment model 1911 5 ") spring but i like to tinker and love its unique rate properties.REGURDLESS THE SPRING IS EASY AND AS OTHERS SAY JUST PULL THE TRIGGER.the truth is if your 1911 is right,you will see no signs of wear ,anywhere,you see something that does not look right it is because it is not and your pistol is telling you something.simple and forgiving yes.a tuneable masterpiece- oh yeah put that in your polymer pipe and smoke it!