In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with value of 1938 Greifelt Rifle

bgarlandbgarland Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
My father brought this back from Germany after WWII. Firearms were being turned in after the war as new town governments were being set up. This rifle was turned in by a local Count and appears to be a custom made hunting rifle.

It is a break open single shot, 5,6X52R European caliber (22 Savage High Power or .22 Hornet I think) made by Carl Stiegele. It has claw scope mounts that I didn't want to mess up so I had a gunsmith make some custom claw mounts that fit the stock mounts and then mounted the modern scope to those blocks.

On the left side of the barrel it is stamped:

Krupp-LAUFSIHAL

and to the right of that:

Carl Stiegele, Hofgewehrfarrik
Munchen

Under the barrel it is stamped with the typical proof marks and the 3 digit number 438. I believe that indicates it was manufactured in April of 1938. the serial number is 37765.

It has some normal usage wear but is still a beautifully crafted rifle.

What do you folks think this is worth in today's market?

Here are few photos:

641080426_p8mjD-XL.jpg

641080469_dHNwr-XL.jpg

641080723_Cdyaq-XL.jpg

641080593_HKkEn-XL.jpg

641080800_JAEKf-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know anything about specific value, other then it would be more valuable in Germany then on this side of the pond. The descendants of the original owner might still be in possession of documentation regarding it's purchase, if it dates to the late 30's. They or some other wealthy Germans would be happy to get their hands on it.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting scope mounting system. Did you have it made and installed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I didn't want to damage the original claw mounts so I had a gunsmith make up a couple steel blocks with correctly fitting claw feet for the gun. The just mounted the modern scope onto those blocks. That left the gun unaltered.

Nothing fancy but they work well. :-)
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have what is normally called a "stalking rifle". Do a search, based on that phrase on other sites to get more info. The box of ammo 5.6x52r is indeed the 22 sav hp but appears to be of more recent vintage than WW2. Look on the barrel underside to conform it is 5.6x52r. The sling looks European and again is of more recent vintage. The action shows good case coloring with a greener cross bolt. Do I see a full length rib on the barrel, with a rear sight? The scope is 3x9 Leupold on a rail mount which is needed to provide the correct eye relief. The trigger(s), set one, features a adjustable weight screw. I would imagine the rifle to be quite light. All of this makes for a fine stalking (light weight/off hand/hunting) rifle. The only thing it has going against it is the lack of the original scope although the Leupold has probably better optics and sealing than the original period scope. Another is the 22sav hp is not appreciated as much here as in Europe, but then again a die hard 22hp fan may bid the gun up just for that caliber. I would consider no less than $2200.00 but be prepared to take some time and a little money to find the correct buyer.
    Thankyou for the nice pics and let us know if you list it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your insight and feedback.

Yes the original sling fell apart so I used the original design and the original brass and wood hardware and remade the sling with new leather.

The barrel does have a full length rib with a rear sight. The rear sight has a single flip up range plate on it.

I did have a gunsmith confirm the caliber as 5.6x52R and your right the ammo was purchased in the last 10 years. I had some custom ammo loaded for this with 71grn bullets and did some target shooting with it. The gun is amazingly accurate. :-)
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Email me if you are interested in loads for the 22hp. I have extensive experience with reloading/firing a .224 bullet in place of the original .227. The value of your rifle, and do get other opinions not just here, is based on it's OWN worth. These guns require a degree of skill to build and their value is reflected in that. Unlike some production guns or military guns that vary wildly in their value do to some unique feature or serial number, drillings/single shots/cape guns and guild shotguns carry their value based on the material and execution of gun building skills. Coins, stamps and certain firearms are only worth what someone has recently paid or will pay, your gun has true material worth. Thanks for showing it, each is unique.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are photos of the marks on the underside of the barrel.

1070295753_GchjR-XL-1.jpg

1070295718_dzWZP-X2-1.jpg

These marks are just forward of the latch lug, also on the bottom of the tube.

1070295823_eGaDs-XL-1.jpg