In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

subsonic 9mm

rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
what would be the biggest differance between sonsonic and regular ammo in a unsuppressed pistol, and will it funtion right

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would depend on the gun and the cartridge. Around 1100 feet per second is the speed of sound. If your regular ammo was 1400fps the subsonic would generate about 11/14 the pressure. Might require a lighter recoil spring to function correctly. Or perhaps a heavyer bullet that maxs closer to sound barrier (the crack which the subsonic do not break) would function correctly.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Subsonic pistol ammunition is commonly loaded to the same chamber pressure and bullet momentum as standard; a heavier bullet going slower. It will function in most guns. Some say the recoil is less sharp even though it computes the same.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Most of the 147gr. 9mm ammo is subsonic.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    All of the above statements are true.

No advantage to shooting it unsuppressed that I am aware of. I shoot a lot of it suppressed but I load my own.

Unless I am wrong it is usually more expensive then "standard" ammo. If you are just looking for plinking ammo and you can find SS cheeper there is not reason not to shoot it.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rusty1
    what would be the biggest differance between sonsonic and regular ammo in a unsuppressed pistol, and will it funtion right

a. Even unsuppressed its still quieter than ordinary (ie 115 or 124 grain) 9mm ammo. That might be an advantage, I guess.

b. You *MIGHT* be able to find it cheaper than other premium 9mm luger rounds (though probably NOT).

c. MOST full sized guns will run the 147 grain ammo just fine. Some won't because of bullet shape and/or overall length. There is only one way to find out. . .

d. Terminal ballistic improvement is questionable. I strongly doubt 147 grain ammo works any better than say 124 grain, etc.

Edit: For what its worth, I've only tried 147 grain ammo in a few different guns, but the ammo I've tried ran fine in SW99, Glock 17, CZ-75. Again, it will *probably* run fine in any of the modern design full sized autos (ie Sig, Glock, Beretta, etc). You may have problems in compact guns or in older designs, especially ones that don't have feed ramps.

In terms of recoil, usually the heavier the bullet the MORE the recoil. I'd say there actually is a little MORE recoil with 147 grain ammo, but its a fairly small difference, and in any case, we're still talking about 9mm luger which has intrinsically low recoil anyway.

One other potential difference relates to use of the round in CARBINES. In theory, heavier bullet weight might help cycle the action of 9mm carbines with picky/stiff blowback actions (though in my experience most 9mm carbines work fine with ordinary 124 grain ammo). Also, while pretty much none of the 9mm carbines give you pinpoint accuracy, you might expect slightly different (I'm not sure if it will be better or worse, probably worse) accuracy with heavier projectiles, depending on carbine barrel twist rate.
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am NOT an expert on anything relating to firearms, and probably should not post on this thread and take up 10% of the alloted space.

I do, however, shoot a lot of 9mm and I have to say that the only, ONLY, problems I have experienced with my pistol have been while trying to shoot 147 gr ammo.

But maybe it's my own particular gun.
    I don't think I'll try anymore 147 gr though.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Basically the upside is there is no sonic boom following behind the bullet, which makes the shot quiter. The only sounds you hear are the report which is about the same as normal, and the bullet smacking into the target.

I have shot quite a bit of 147 grain ball ammo, and have never really had problems. I like it because where I shoot the feedback od the sonic boom off trees and walls is almost as loud as the shot. So it cuts down on noise polution.