In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

U.S. Revolver Co. Top Break .22 Cal. Pistol

jdforingerjdforinger Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have received a hand-me-down pistol from my grandfather. My mother doesn't know any details of its origins. It is a U.S. Revolver Co. top break .22 Caliber, 7-shot pistol. U.S. is imprinted on the handles. The serial number,under the left handle grip is "29217" and there is no letter designation, only the 5-digit number. Can anyone give me any history about this pistol? Particularly, the year of manufacture, and any other pertinent information. Thanks in advance.
Best,
JD

Comments

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found this quote on another forum, hope it helps.
    Okay, here we go. One reliable source states that US Revolver Company is a trade name used by Iver Johnson yet another suggests that this trade name was used by the Otis A. Smith Company. Anyway the Otis A. Smith Company manufactured a large number of pistols and fine carpentry tools from 1884 thru about 1917. Poor records were kept and they were manufactured under an assortment of trade names so identification is iffy at best. Smith could have manufactured a run of pistols for Iver Johnson, thus leading to the confusion today. Iver Johnson closed it's doors in 1993.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    to set the record straight iver johnson's arms & cycle works and otis a. smith had no connection other than maybe being in the same state. the o.a. smith co. used a the brand name U.S. Pistol Co. about 1880 and maybe up until about 1899. these revolver were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures only. iver johnson's arms & cycle works used the brand name U.S. Revolver Co. between 1910 and 1935, these revolvers were manufactured for smokeless powder.

the small frame 22 rimfire caliber u.s. revolver co. automatic (top break) serial number 29217 was manufactured in 1912. in term of massed produced firearms the 22 rimfire u.s. revolver co. automatic is rare in the fact they seldom show up on the used guns market. the solid frame double action in 22 rimfiire is another story as they show up often.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER
    1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ? inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ? ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 _ ounces; Height: small frame 3 _ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ? inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105
    add 10% premium for 22 rimfire caliber.

bill