In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 lr ammo

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
what is a good brand to buy?...I have been using Remington...don't need any thing but just plinking..

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the best .22 LR ammo for speed/accuracy?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like CCI MiniMags. They function well in all my 22LR.

added I like CCI CB Longs too. Nearly silent in a rifle, hits hard enough to take small game at reasonable ranges.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, the best all around is CCI. It's relatively inexpensive, shoots well and very few duds.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI Mini-Mag 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose ..
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the others posters noted, CCI is the best manufacturer of .22 rimfire ammo. Don't limit yourself to just Mini Mags though. They (CCI), make a whole spectrum of 22 rimfire ammo. That are as equally as good, as Mini Mags.

Last week I was shooting a Beretta .22 pistol. And had all kinds of misfire problems with Aguila (Mexican Ammo). CCI Blazers and Standard Velocity, on the other hand were almost trouble free.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use most brands, Federal, Win, CCI, Remington. Have had some unreliable performance with Rem, but the others all have worked well for me. Buy whatever you can get a deal on.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back before all the BS started I bought two cases of the Fiocchi Performance standard velocity 40gr. Reasonably accurate in all my rifles and even functioned in the 10-22 I had.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I run a 22long rifle 90 shot pistol match once a week year round get a chance to see any function problems on many semi auto Pistols It is my belief most problems are caused by either poor quality control when made OR poor storage and handling Remington is the worst mis fire but if You take a pair of needle nose and carefully twist the bullet itself out of the neck of the failed case while holding case upright and pour the powder out in the palm of your hand you will see lots of the primer compound "light green in color" mixed with the grey powder [V][:(!] shot out of rifles fewer misfires also the hardened lube on bullet nose will case problems on semi auto pistols more than rifles
    CCI standard velocity is a good price point if you can find it if you shoot matches buy a brick of ELEY 10X to shoot at Camp Perry only $200.00 a BRICK [:0]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For just shooting, I think the CCI Blazer is OK --at the right price.
    I wouldn't pay the same as Federal HV or mini-mags for the Blazer.
    Unless, I've simply misplaced a case of 22 ammo, I'm nearly out of Federal HVHP and will be forced to re-zero my hunting 10-22 with the old stock Remington GBHP I still have on hand. Heck, I'm still shooting some Remington GBRN bought pre-1990.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AND
    if you want consistent accuracy from your 22 rifle, you need to test on paper target the different brands of ammo and types and see what your 22 caliber barrel prefers.

You will be surprised how the measley 22 long rifle ammo will react different in different guns for good accuracy.

I'm referring to trying CCI, Winchester, Federal, standard ammo for hunting, plinking purposes, not bench rest ammo.
    When you find what 22 lr ammo your gun likes it can make you look like you are a good shot and the squirrels won't laugh at you as they are running away.