In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beiestegui Bros 32-20

kooterbillkooterbill Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a 32-20 pistol(above mfg) s/n 259XX. trying to find the date of mfg. Like to know the year.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere between 1909 and 1936. Spanish made. Not considered a top of the line copy of S&W.

added Look it over carefully with a hand lens, perhaps it has a proof mark that might help date it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    are you sure it is not 32S&W LONG EDIT OK just wanted to say many pistols during that time frame shot were pistol rounds 32 / 20 is also rifle round
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has 32-20 stamped on the barrel
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend that you do not shoot it unless you have it checked by a gunsmith (or, you consider yourself an expert). Some of these Spanish copies can be lethal to the shooter.

Spanishrevolverleft.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because of problems with materials and quality control. The Spanish government, mandated mandatory proofing in the mid 1920's. If your revolver doesn't have any proof marks? It was made prior to than.

Take Neal's warning to heart. The unproofed Spanish revolvers. Were sold by mail order, in the years after the First World War. For under $10.00. They could be just as dangerous to the person pulling the trigger, as the person being shot at.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to the advice given here.

However I have half a dozen Spanish .32-20 revolvers from this period that are quite well made and good shooters.

I also have about a dozen .25 acp semiautomatic pistols front this period that are nice.

Having said that there are Spanish and Belgian clones that were not well made and have not stood the test of time or been taken care of.

As a point of order or rule of the day a gunsmith inspection and cautious test firing would seem warranted.

Most modern ammo should be ok in an approved and inspected revolver.

They did make rifle and carbine loads - higher pressure - usually with an "hv" on the headstamp or on the box.

Pics would be helpful.

I am a big fan of these guns but our experts are correct to indicate caution and point out possible issues.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This gun has 4 notches on the wooden grip. It was said to have belonged to a sheriff in Hood county Texas. Was trying to narrow it down to which one by the date of mfg.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Without a pic I would guess pre Spanish the War of Northern Aggression production...

Late 1920's to early 1930's as an educated guess.

Mike
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:It was said to have belonged to a sheriff in Hood county Texas

Must have been a Depression era sheriff, to not afford a Colt or Smith. The gun is probably older. Post WWI, pre General Franco.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zhuks shows several non nagant patent solid frame smith clones...

Specifically mentions .32-20 wcf

Marketed towards police - constabulary - sheriff's - etc.

Mike
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could not find anything by the Beiestegui boys in Zhuk, though.

There are several to be seen on google search. They seem to have had two patterns of hand ejectors. One was a pretty close copy of S&W but the other was about a ten foot gun. It had a separate trigger guard pinned on and no sideplate. Apparently the action parts were loaded in through the bottom.

Wiki does show that Beiestegui is still in business making bicycles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are listed under several names - variations on names - as a manufacturer - zhuks does not do a terrific job of cross-referencing the nomenclature and makers.

An Internet search will give you also offers own as names and co- manufacturer info in most cases.

Great pictures - schematics - line drawings though.

Mike