In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun shell lengths and pressures. 2 3/4 vs. 3

WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
This question has puzzled me for a while now. I do understand the difference in shotgun barrels when it comes to shotshell lengths. If firing a 3 inch shell in a chamber for 2 3/4 inches you will have a constriction caused by the longer shell in the shorter chamber. I also understand that it acceptable to shoot 2 3/4 and 3 inch rounds chambered in a barrel labeled for three inch shells. In this scenario I'm excluding 12 gauge shotguns chambered in 3 1/2 lengths. This also hold true for 20 gauge shotguns.

My question has to do with being told many times that it is not safe to change a 2 3/4 barrel out with one chambered in 3 inches because this is considered a magnum load, and the receiver was not made to handle the magnum rounds.

The pressures for both 2 3/4 & 3 inch shells in 12 & 20 gauge have the same maximum working pressures of 11,500 and 12,000 respectively according to SAAMI shotshell pressure standards. it seems to me that the bolt locking mechanisms since they are designed to work at these pressures it should not be a problem in changing out a 2 3/4 chambered barrel for a 3 inch chamber barrel on say your garden variety Remington 870.

If not, what am I missing here?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ejection port length?
    Pump stroke length?
    In shotguns "magnum" refers to the weight of the shot payload, not the velocity of same.

IOW not a pressure issue, as much as a potential mechanical issue.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most cases, you will find that the pressures are similar. The heavier shot load is offset by lower velocities.
    Some brands/models will have shorter ejection ports/pump strokes on the older 2 3/4" only actions. I had an old Rem 870 2 3/4" action that would feed and eject one brand of 3" shells but choke on all others. 1/32" in length was a deal breaker function wise. I also have an older Rem 870 3" with an ejection port too short to reliably eject fired cases of some brands even though it says right on the side "MAGNUM".
    These comments are in reference to manually operated actions only.