In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning X-Bolt and A-Bolt Differences?

DatasiphonDatasiphon Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am in the market to get a new 30-06.

I have been searching trying to find out the defining differences between Browning's Bolt action lines. I really can't tell what the major difference is that should shape my decision.

About me:
I am fairly new to the world of guns. I mostly shoot clays but just got my hunters class certificate so I can now hunt if I want. I always wanted a 30-06. Since I am newish to this type of thing some may recommend that I get something entry level but I like Browning and I don't like to buy crap. I can afford a nice rifle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not have a X-bolt but have several A-bolts. The ones I have are very accurate. I'm a sucker for the medallions, I think they look neat. I do not like plastic on my rifles and, I believe, the magazines on the X-bolt are plastic. Other than that, the X's I've handled in the gun shop have seemed OK. I would suggest you look over both of them in a gun shop and pick the one you like best. My vote goes to the A-bolt, but that's just me.
  • Options
    Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other difference in the actual actions themselves; there is a tab on the rear top of the bolt witch I am told is used to allow the removal of the bolt with the safety ON as opposed to the original A-bolt where you had to have the safety OFF to remove the bolt. The magazine for the x-bolt is attached/removed differently than the a-bolt too, but both seem to be a very secure design. I have had an a=bolt composite stalker and loved it. I would buy another a-bolt or x-bolt, but it would be in 308 Win.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any more information on the differences [?][?][?]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, as you have chosen one fine chambering.

There is not much that the 30-06 cannot do. As for the differences in the actions, the X-Bolt is head and shoulders above the A-Bolt. It has added safety features, and a great new trigger design, that is pretty crisp from the factory. I own several A-Bolts, and A-Bolt II's, but not an X-Bolt. It is soon to be on that list for me.
  • Options
    penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    TSR How would you know is the X is so much better without a little field time. Just wondering.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penguin
    TSR How would you know is the X is so much better without a little field time. Just wondering.

I have friends that have them, and have had a chance to play with them. One in particular is a 26 inch barrel, synthetic stock, in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was on sale on the auction side at Northern Firearms at a bargain price of $519.99 including shipping, and no CC fee's. It is a nail driver, and easy on the shoulder. The ergonomics are so much better than the A-Bolt, as are the safety features and the trigger.

Also as an aside, I have been professionally involved in the firearms industry since I was 16...yes, at 16, I was gunsmithing as an amateur. I have built several rifles and handguns, and fixed, repaired, or modified many for customers. I can depict new features for good or bad. The X-Bolt is a HUGE improvement over the A-Bolt.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks everyone