In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1966 Ruger 10-22

MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have an early production Ruger 10-22. Serial number 366xx puts it at 1966 production. It is in good condition with very few nicks or scratches. This was the first firearm I had as a teenager so it has sentimental value and I have no plans to sell it. I know there have been many many of these produced but wondered if the older models have any collector value?
Regards, MAALOX

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a friend who has a hammer forged Target model (sound right? sometimes I stop listening [:D]). Second one sold in Salinas like that makes any difference. I mean it's not like #2 off the line which it could be but figure how many are out there?

Early production at 36,000 damn... They made a lot. Some company's done gone out of business by the time they hit that number.

Figure there's always a sucker I mean "aficionado" out there. You just need two at the same time for a bidding war.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had it for more then 40 years so I am not planning on selling it. I'm trying to figure out if it is a family heirloom or just another old rifle.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FAMILY TREASURE. CLEAN.OIL AND PUT AWAY FOR THE GRANDKIDS.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    I have an early production Ruger 10-22. Serial number 366xx puts it at 1966 production. It is in good condition with very few nicks or scratches. This was the first firearm I had as a teenager so it has sentimental value and I have no plans to sell it. I know there have been many many of these produced but wondered if the older models have any collector value?

If said gun were in like new condition, with original box and papers, with other desirable features (rare variant, really low serial number, etc), then maybe it might.

But I think what you're describing is a used gun, one of literally millions like it, and its not a particularly high priced gun in and of its own right. So no, I don't think there is much extra collectors value there.

Whether or not its a "family heirloom" is up to you and your family to decide. . .but on the open market, I doubt you'd get much (or even anything) more for it than a similar brand new one off the shelf at Walmart.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,198 ******
    edited November -1
    Being a pre-warning barreled gun, I think it would bring a little more than a warning barreled gun but probably not too much.
    I'll add to that the better stock and steel butt plate would also add some extra.
    I know I like the pre-warning guns and bought one a couple of months just because it was a pre-warning. Made in 66 just like yours.
    I would not of bought it if was a later rifle.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold a nice pre-warning barrel addressed 10/22, walnut stock, this spring for $350 at a gun show. Not a collector item but much nicer than the new ones so sold for a premium. Percentage wise that's a pretty good premium but $ wise not so much.

I suggest using it to teach the grandkids to shoot and one will want to have it to remember those times.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like those above have said, they have a SLIGHT value bump for those early pre-warning ones. Unless it has the factory fingergroove or mannlicher stock, then it'd be a pretty standard item. Personally, I wouldn't beat it up. If it is nice, has sentimental value and all that, then I'd get a newer stainless 10/22 (or other if you prefer) and use it to shoot, carry through the brush, get wet, etc.

I have one my wife bought me in 1990 that I am not exaggerating to say I think it has 25k rounds through it, sometimes all 50 rounds in short period of time with extended mags and hell-fire triggers. It eventually started to erode the barrel so I finally replaced the barrel and I am much better to my firearms nowadays. I also have a couple of the fingergroove variants I mentioned above (because I have never liked barrel bands) and I am so glad it wasn't one of these that I abused when I was young and stupid(er). [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That one has all the metal parts, and as such in good condition, will bring good money...6-8 times its original cost, when it was new. It has much more sentimental value to it than monetary value...keep it clean, and shoot it as much as you want. Perhaps drop in a trigger kit, but keep the old stuff.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for shoot it and keep it clean. I think the old ones were made/fitted better and have less plastic.