In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Parallax adjustment

tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
Burris E1 4.5x14 Parallax adjustment on objective ring.For hunting deer in the open ranges of Western Kansas Shots at 200 to 350 yds..243 Win.What yardage should I keep it on in case of a quick shot with no time to adjust it ? Thanks , Tocamoha

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I would set it at 300 and be done with it...
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And set it AT 300 by actually aiming at a target and tweaking the adjustment until you do not get apparent motion between reticle and target. The graduations on the rings do not seem to be calibrated. I have one that reads 77 when true at 100.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "What yardage should I keep it on in case of a quick shot with no time to adjust it ?"

In 4 decades of hunting with an adjustable parallax scope, I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT ADJUSTING THE PARALLAX PRIOR TO TAKING A SHOT.
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had a scope with parallax adjustment before and am not familiar with its use.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mine at 150 yds. and the magnification at 6 power.

Another question would be: Why do the "hunters" on TV use their range finders and tell us that the deer/elk/moose is 154 yards? Who cares, we see it clearly and are sited in for 100 or 200 yards and the margin of "error" would be less than 2 inches at either range. If you can't immediately tell the difference between 100 and 200 yards you better get out of the woods and start stepping off some known distances.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tocamoha
    Burris E1 4.5x14 Parallax adjustment on objective ring.For hunting deer in the open ranges of Western Kansas Shots at 200 to 350 yds..243 Win.What yardage should I keep it on in case of a quick shot with no time to adjust it ? Thanks , Tocamoha

My rule of thumb is to set the parallax to whatever distance the most likely shot will be. Here in the Eastern woods, my shots average 50 to 75 yards. I keep the setting on about 60 and if by chance I do get the rare long shot, I have time to adjust it anyway. It really does make a difference on the clarity of the reticle when adjusted right. When the parallax is set to 60 yards, a 200 yard shot will give a blurry reticle. Adjust it to 200 and the reticle becomes very crisp and clear.

Good luck, Don
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I never had a scope with parallax adjustment before and am not familiar with its use."
    The Weaver on my old 22/250 has been set on 400 yards since 1978 and this rifle was/is used for small targets at ranges from 100-500 yards. Set it on 300-400, zero it there, and leave it alone. Practice consistent, solid rifle mounting technique and the parallax will take care of itself. Oh yeah, that 14X won't do you much good @ 300-400 yards unless you're shooting prairie dogs.