In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Bisley value

clyleclyle Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am assisting the wife of a friend who passed away unexpectedly sell some firearms he had accumulated over the years. One such is a Colt Bisley. Serial number prefix 234xxx which should put it in the year of manufacture of 1902. This Bisley has a 7 ?" barrel and is in very good condition.

I will likely procure a letter of authenticity and history from Colt but wanted to get some input on value before I go down this track. If anyone has a working level of knowledge on Colt SAA's , please feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pics please.

Caliber - finish - grips - condition - all affect value...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do photos need to be downloaded from a 3rd party site?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clyle
    Do photos need to be downloaded from a 3rd party site?

Yes.

Instructions, at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7 1/2" barrel, 45 Colt. The wood case is simply a display case and has no bearing on the revolver. I suspect the grips are not ivory but mother of pearl. can't be sure if the finish has been re-done or if it's original. The letter from Colt may solve that mystery.

[img][/img]DSCN1353_zpsgfpr2kao.jpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect polished and refinished...

And polished quite a bit afterwards over the course of time.

I suspect the grips are a later add on.

The front sight looks factory.

Jmho

Mike
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    I suspect polished and refinished...

And polished quite a bit afterwards over the course of time.

I suspect the grips are a later add on.

The front sight looks factory.

Jmho

Mike

+1

Still being a Bisley, would make it a valuable Colt. Have to figure how much the (probable? buffing/nickeling). Would reduce it's collectors value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'll get it lettered and we'll be able to know more about it.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would save the $100. All a factory letter will tell you is, at best, how the gun was configured when it was manufactured. Colt will tell you that they cannot determine if your gun is authentic.

If you want to help sell the gun, you will need to take better photos. You need close ups that allow buyers to clearly see all markings on the gun, including the serial number.

You can get some idea of the value by looking at Bisleys in the COMPLETED GB auctions. That will also show you what an original finish gun looks like. Note how the transition on your gun's flutes & notches are rounded, an obvious sign of poor quality refinishing.

Neal
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cliff,

Contact Kasey here on the forums. She sold a couple of high end Colts for me a couple of years ago and did a magnificent job. You can look at her auctions and see the quality photos. Plus, she has a following of buyers that look for such firearms. Her profile is below. She goes by Locust Fork.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=31334