In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta U22 Neos .22 Extraction Problem - New Gun

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hey folks. I am having some trouble with a brand new Beretta U22 Neos. Before I could even shoot it, I noticed that it will not extract an unfired round from the chamber. That is, if you are loaded and decide to down-load, it will not extract the round. Instead, you have to dump it out by gravity.

Having noticed the above, I naturally assumed there is a problem with it. As such, I stopped immediately (didn't even fire it), and shipped it back to Beretta. Just got it back in the mail today. The packing slip says the following:

"Inspected functions and safety checks. Polished feed ramp and test fired. Test fired 20 rounds. 10 rounds of CCI 40gr Copper HP, and 10 rounds of Winchester 40gr Lead round nose using customer magazine. Firearm functions as designed and is within factory parameters."

So....they essentially did nothing to it. I checked it again upon arrival, and it still will not extract an unfired round. So my question is:

1. Is this normal for a U22 NEOS? Is it actually within the design that the only way to remove an unfired round is to shake it out using gravity/force?

Thanks for the help. If this is actually "within factory parameters," I find it to be a really stupid design.

Comments

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked mine and it extracts an unfired round every time.

Mine is older and has one extractor on the right side and it always
    rests over the edge where the case rim sits.

When the bolt is released it will strip a round off the magazine and
    the extractor will clip over the edge of the rim and hold it there
    until it's fired or extracted manually.

You can push sideways on the extractor and it will return back to
    the edge of the rim, and it's not a stiff spring on the extractor,
    it can be moved easily.

so i assume your extractor's spring is too stiff or too loose to hold
    the round in place.....it doesn't sound like it's hanging up in the
    chamber.

i hope that answers your problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, thor! That does help a lot.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being nib, the extractor should work as designed, I.E. being able to manually extract a unfired cartridge from the chamber. This is very surprising to me, that the Beretta repair folks would send it back with out fixing it. As this could cause them extreme legal liability problems, in case of a unfortunate accident.

The dummies testfring it at the Beretta factory is meaningless. A number of .22 pistols, I've owned over the years. Would extract and eject fired .22 cartridge cases, with out even a extractor. Residual gas pressure does the job. In fact Beretta makes a 22 mouse gun, with a hinged barrel. That doesn't even have a extractor.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to ask....just in case.

When you load the first round, do you let the slide fly forward, or do you ease the slide forward?

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I have to ask....just in case.

When you load the first round, do you let the slide fly forward, or do you ease the slide forward?

Neal

From slide-lock, I let it fly forward naturally.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it apart and clean it, lightly stone the working surfaces to make sure they are free of burrs. Pay close attention to the extractor hook. A hand lens will help - a spent case or a dummy round might be useful to see if the hook fits over the rim. Spring tension and fit could be the issue or the length could be short. Lube it properly and put several hundred rounds threw it and see if it polishes in.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DBV,

quote:Take it apart and clean it, lightly stone the working surfaces to make sure they are free of burrs. Pay close attention to the extractor hook. A hand lens will help - a spent case or a dummy round might be useful to see if the hook fits over the rim. Spring tension and fit could be the issue or the length could be short. Lube it properly and put several hundred rounds threw it and see if it polishes in.

Nothing of the sort should be attempted as it will negate your warranty.

Beretta needs to take responsibility for this malfunction since safety dictates being able to eject a live round.

I suspicion that the technicians are overwhelmed with repairs and didn't read your note carefully enough to understand what the real problem was. They responded with a 'failure to feed' correction instead of a 'failure to extract' correction. FtF is an easier and cheaper fix as opposed to FtE which will usually require fitting and/or parts replacement.

Write a very clear letter explaining the failure in concise terms and do not let them return it without fixing the problem. The first statement written should be in CAPS:

This firearm will NOT EXTRACT an unfired cartridge!

These types of problems occur with mass production but it does not excuse the corporation from responsibility. The bigger these corporations get the less responsive they are, a big drawback to having less expensive firearms.

Best.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Dump the junker : Get a GOOD Gun .......

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

Thank-you - much appreciated. I hadn't really thought of it as a safety issue, but you are correct. Having to shake it up in the air isn't very safe.

Going to call them today and take it from there.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Responding, I agree with above. .22 cartridges WHEN FIRED may eject just based on recoil. That's not "enough". Its also possible that if the gun is JUST using recoil to extract, it won't extract when dirty. The gun should extract unfired cartridges. If it doesn't something is wrong.

Problem could be as simple as dirt under the extractor, preventing it from engaging, to a bad extractor, lack of extractor spring, etc.

I'd at least take a good look at the extractor before going through the hassle of sending it back to Beretta. See if you can wiggle the extractor and it spring into place. You might put an empty shell in the chamber, close the action and look closely at the extractor to see if it engages over the rim. Can you place an empty shell into the slide have it held in place by the extractor? Its "supposed" to do that.

With respect to how to load the gun, you're supposed to "slingshot" it. IE, you pull the slide all the way back then release it so it snaps forward at full speed. (IE let it "fly"). That's how the gun NORMALLY operates when it self-loads as a semi-auto, and the gun should be designed so that this is perfectly safe to you and doesn't hurt the gun.

If you "ease" the slide forward by holding onto it after pulling it back, you're likely to cause a misfire when the round doesn't fully seat into the chamber (I've seen it happen).