In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

legal to sell parts to a man in foreign country

ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a Burris AR15 P.E.P.R. scope mount for sale and a man in Romania wants to buy it. Is it legal for me to sell and ship to him?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Essentially...No, or at least not without an export permit from the Department of Commerce. Although not on the US Munitions List, these items fall under the preview of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), of the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security. Such items include, but are not limited to:

1.Generation 2, 3, or 4 Night Vision Equipment and Night Vision Accessories.
    2.Thermal Imaging Equipment and Heat Seekers.
    3.Optical Sighting Equipment and Tactical Lights (both Hand-Held and Weapon-Mountable),Accessories, and Mounting Hardware.
    4.Tactical Gear and Weapon Accessories.
    5.Knives.
    6.Military Apparel including Body Armor, Helmets and Helmet Accessories, and Shields.

A few years back, long time GB member Locust Fork attempted to ship a telescopic sight to (I believe) Germany. The shipment was seized by US Customs and due to the involved process of getting it released, she forfeited it.

It is up to you, but I wouldn't risk it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark. I will follow your advice.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    anything gun related is kinda a no no
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a dealer who was shipping bayonets abroad as "tent stakes" who got caught...

There were penalties - fines - seizures - and forfeitures.

Bad idea even if you are honest.

Worse idea if you are not.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow a sight base is a restricted item for export How did the attorney generalissimo holder get away with gun walking functioning complete weapons to Mexico, even had one come back and be used to murder a border guard. I thought there is no statue of limitations on murder.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    I knew a dealer who was shipping bayonets abroad as "tent stakes" who got caught...

There were penalties - fines - seizures - and forfeitures.

Bad idea even if you are honest.

Worse idea if you are not.

Mike

I'm not sure but edged weapons don't necessarily fall into the gun parts category. I purchased my current AR 10 bayonet right from the source in Holland. There are a ton of sellers on ebay that sell knives swords bayonets etc. If it was illegal most all of them would have been busted by now. I know that anything scope related is a no no and most gun parts per say are.
    If the guy you know labeled a bayonet as a tent stake he should be busted.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He was selling to some questionable European countries in and around what used to be Czech Republic - Slovakia

You had to buy a minimum number of tent stakes...

They were clearly bayonets and the paperwork and boxes said tent stakes...

The batfe and state department got involved.

Very ugly.

Mike
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer is "it depends on what the part is".

I don't think anyone cares if you're shipping handgun GRIPS, but I know for a fact that sights and sighting accessories are restricted. As ridiculous as it seems, a scope base is restricted.

IMO, for what amounts to a $70 part, its probably not worth the hassle to do it right, nor worth taking a chance on not doing it right.

For armilite, there are two issues:

-All kinds of "things" come into the USA from Holland every single day. Not all of these are legal to import into the USA or even possess at all [;)]. Just because customs doesn't catch all of them doesn't mean it doesn't catch ANY.

And for sure just because something is listed for sale on Ebay, or GunBroker, or anywhere else, doesn't make it legal. Without getting into details, I think we all know that once in a while illegal things get listed for sale. . .most of the time they get caught and the auction taken down, sometimes not.

-Import and export are subject to different rules. There are specific restrictions against EXPORTING certain military type accessories, and no, they don't all necessarily make "sense". But just because you can import something doesn't mean you can export it (or vice versa).