In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Norma URP

norgexxxnorgexxx Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
Bought a whole bunch of Norma powders (MRP, URP, 204, 200) a few years back, and stuck them in the freezer until I slowly used them, except for the URP. I have 10lbs of the stuff and no data. Even Norma, which boasts of URPs amazing qualities in 'mid-sized cartridge' has little to no data for URP in ANY cartridges. Only a couple loads listed in the online data for 30-06 and others.
Really would like some load data, or suggestions for popular mid-sized cartridges like .308Win, 243, 7-08, 6mm, 280 etc. or any others. I reload almost 40 different rifle calibers. If you have data for any large magnums that use URP I'm all ears. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this, it has a burning rate similar to 4350.

https://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Academy/om-handladdning/brinntider-for-krut/

If you can't find any data, you will have to very carefully work up your own. Using a very accurate chronograph, with 4350 data as a guide.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    norgexxx,

I've been using it in my .338 Win. Mag. with a 225 gr. Partition, excellent results.

Here is a link to the Norma website and their list of cartridges with load data. Briefly running that list I came up with at least 1/2 dozen cartridges with load data for URP and I didn't finish the list.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks but no thanks.
    I am well aware of the Norma info and have perused it before. What you are suggesting is most dangerous, and for an 'advanced' member it surprises me a bit you would suggest it, and beg you to never suggest "comparing burn rates" to anyone else seeking data. I implore you to read this article entitled "Why burn rates are meaningless" by Randy Wakeman or a similar article. (http://www.chuckhawks.com/powder_burn_rate.htm) It is on the 'free' side so it is veiwable by non-members. Similar burn rates, in a nutshell, tell you NOTHING about compositions, coatings, shapes, etc. etc. ALL of which can have radical effects on pressure and how fast pressure is generated. How fast the powder burns is but a single component of pressure generation. Thank-you for the effort, but it is bad advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you found half a dozen, then you found exactly 3 more then I did. The only ones I found any data for were 7mm Mauser for two bullets, 30-06 for 2 bullets and I forget the other. I consider .308 a typical mid-size cartridge, along with .243,7-08, .260, .338 Fed. or 280Rem, .270Win, 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, etc. to name a few, and I find no data on their website except for a few loads with a specific bullet. For the amount of hype Norma generates for URP no one can show me a list of data that demonstrates it's versitility, at least not yet. I'm sure you'll agree that 6 loads is nothing as far as data goes for a single powder.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by norgexxx
    Thanks but no thanks.
    I am well aware of the Norma info and have perused it before. What you are suggesting is most dangerous, and for an 'advanced' member it surprises me a bit you would suggest it, and beg you to never suggest "comparing burn rates" to anyone else seeking data. I implore you to read this article entitled "Why burn rates are meaningless" by Randy Wakeman or a similar article. (http://www.chuckhawks.com/powder_burn_rate.htm) It is on the 'free' side so it is veiwable by non-members. Similar burn rates, in a nutshell, tell you NOTHING about compositions, coatings, shapes, etc. etc. ALL of which can have radical effects on pressure and how fast pressure is generated. How fast the powder burns is but a single component of pressure generation. Thank-you for the effort, but it is bad advice.

I guess I've just been lucky. Have done this a number of times over the years, with no ill effects.

It goes without saying, that if you used 4350 as a guide. Start out 10 % under one of the starting loads. Not one of the burn burner, max loads.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    norgexxx,

While I could copy off all of my 'large magnum' data for the Norma URP powder, I think that goes against what I think is right. So, in an effort to attempt to solve your question, I have sent a request to my contact at Norma for some better organized material with regard to specific powders and cartridges. I have explained the question in such a way that he may be able to do a 'sort' of the current lab data in order to supply us with load data for just that powder and the cartridges which are applicable.

I promise nothing but I have done what I can for the time being. The upcoming holidays may slow the response time down but I will forward and post what I get from him.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    norgexxx,

I promise nothing but I have done what I can for the time being. The upcoming holidays may slow the response time down but I will forward and post what I get from him.

Best.

Blessings! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year