In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nef

IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
nef 20ga missfires sometimes it will dent the primmer but will not fier --transfer bar is good any help --and thank you

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Action gummed up and needs cleaning ?
    Weak mainspring ?
    Wrong firing pin ?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The firing pin could be broken or short. Hammer spring could be weak or broken. Make sure it shuts all the way closed. If its reloads make sure the base is flat not coned in moving the primer away from the receiver.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fairly basic question here. What does the dent in the primer look like?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like there is a possibility of thick gummy oil, or crud, impeding the firing pin. Take it apart and check.
  • Options
    IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
    edited November -1
    the dent is a light dempel--it is not gummed --i hive replaced the main spring firing pin looks good
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard primers? Reloads, primer not seated all the way?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard primers, headspace, primers not fully seated are not as likely with shotshells.
    In general, shotgun firing pins have a larger diameter, more rounded nose profile, and protrude further than centerfire FP. I'm not sure how the manufacturers handle the "multi-barrel" set-ups that include a shotgun barrel. A possibility is the frame is a centerfire configuration that simply doesn't have the capability to consistently ignite the shotgun primers. If the primer "dimple" looks like it was made by a rather pointed FP, this might be a possibility.
    This is only speculation.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    those guns use different firing pins, need correct pin for shotgun only or rifle or combo gun, if not misfires are common, what type you have ? what serial # ?
    a change in pin and a clean out usually corrects problem.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Sounds like there is a possibility of thick gummy oil, or crud, impeding the firing pin. Take it apart and check.

I agree. Had the same problem once with an NEF. Does not hurt to take it apart and hit it with brake or carb cleaner, blow it out with compressed air, then lightly spray oil in and on it. Fix my problem.

Rob