In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithica 1911 DOM...?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
..My cousin has his Dad's Ithica 1911 from WWII. It's stamped
"M 1911 A1 US Army". The serial is 1453725. Can anyone expand
on that information at all? His letter from Ithica simply stated
it was made between 1942 and May 24, 1944.
Thanks...tap

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your cousin's gun was made in 1943.

Neal

EDIT: "Blue Book of Gun Values" by Steve Fjestad. Much "data" on guns made during WW2 is approximate.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Your cousin's gun was made in 1943.

Neal

..Where did you find that Neal?....and is there
    any other info to be found?
    Thanks a Bunch!,
    Dale..tap
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello during the second world war there were a number of contracts to have civilian company's make military goods the 1911 pistol was changed slightly between WW I and WW II
    and the nomenclature was changed to service pistol 1911A1 Ithaca was one of these contractors however they may or may not have all parts of these pistols made by ITHACA some had Colt barrels ETC I will be able to tell you who should be noted as the inspector on your pistol and may be able to tell you when it was shipped when I get home and look at my Books of record editYour pistol should have on the left side of the grip frame three letters F.J.A. This is for the inspector FRANK J. Atwood COLONEL Rochester Ordnance District He inspected ALL ITHACA Pistols your pistol is one of those built under contract # w-740-ORD 476
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Coolgunsite.com says it was made in 1943, but according to Clawson, that number is under the third contract to Ithaca which did not start until April 1944.
    Clawson says it was SHIPPED May 24, 1944 to the Officer in Charge, Naval Supply Depot, Oakland, Cal. In fact, it was the very first gun in that shipment when they started sending them out in serial number order.

By then Ithaca was making most of their own parts but were getting the hammer and mainspring housing from subcontractors. They used mostly High Standard barrels with some early from Colt and some late from Flannery Bolt.