In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger no 1

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
Over the years, I've owned 3-4 Ruger No. 1"s. None of them would shoot better than about 2 1/2 MOA. I love the gun, but don't want another shotgun. Any current info regarding accuracy. THX Keith

PS I have reloaded for over 50 years

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can a Ruger no 1, or similar break-open rifle be re-barreled??? If cartridge head is the same dia on both cal's. it solves the extractor prob. How about a 222 Rem, to 221 fireball. New bbl. THX Keith
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was the ruger no 1 ever chambered in 9.3x74? I found one at a gunshop and was wondering if it was a rebarrel or an original.

Thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to know how accurate the ruger no 1 is if I do my part of course I am buying the stanless in 204 ruger any info would be helpful I am putting a leuopold vx111 6 to 25 off my remmington 700 sps bolt action which I have not been happy with
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen better groups than that with them. IMHO really hard to get 2 piece stocks to be tack drivers without really heavy barrels.

The last one was a buddy's in 280 Rem with handloads just over an inch. He sold it, later got a NEI in 280, which did 3/4" groups with factory ammo right out of the box.

I was never fond of them myself. Lot harder to re-barrel than others. I saw the remains of one in 45-70 that couldn't digest loads used in the small ring Mexican Mauser I now have. To be fair, it involved balloon head cases that the Ruger doesn't support properly. The forearm was in pieces, the extractor was gone. Ruger insisted on a new barrel even though several knowledgeable people thought it was fine. No it wasn't my rifle and Ruger didn't fix it for free.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned only one, since about 1983, a No. 1-B with 26" medium weight barrel in 6mm Remington. With its favorite handloads, it will group at and around one minute of angle. Not really a 300 yard groundhog rifle, but has done well on several whitetails. It might do better for extreme accuracy, except that it has a lousy trigger pull that requires extreme concentration, even off sandbags and bench. I believe that is typical of these rifles. I have always felt that with a better trigger it might group tighter.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I've had several, one .30/06 would do 3/4" groups any time with proper hand loads. the last one I bought came with a kiplinger single set trigger (in .375 H&H!) that will do 1" with cast bullets. However these 2 are the exception, most were 1 1/2" to 2" rifles. you can free float the barrels though, which helps.
  • Options
    dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a #1V in 6PPC with good bullets will shoot under 1/4 as came from the factory.
    Shoot bench rest for a while and had a bunch of culled cases
    bought the Ruger to use them most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned, hase a 8x32 Burris on it.
    One day at Carters I called and hit a horse fly on my 100 yard target
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had two a 1V 22-250 and a 1B 25-06. Couldn't get the 22-250 to shoot as well as my Sako .222 so I traded it. I found that the .25-06 has a distinct preference for heavier bullets. With 70-100 grain slugs it patterns at about 2-3" on a good day. With 117-120 bullets and 50 gr of IMR 4831 it will stay inside a minute as long as I do my part. It may just be a question of finding the load it likes.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RVB Precision Shooting produced and article on how to accurise the No. 1.
    Float the forearm, remove the sight base and remove a few thousands off the rear of the scope base, put teflon tape under the front of the scope base. I did this to several No. 1s and it worked. Usually less than MOA
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    Over the years, I've owned 3-4 Ruger No. 1"s. None of them would shoot better than about 2 1/2 MOA. I love the gun, but don't want another shotgun. Any current info regarding accuracy. THX Keith

PS I have reloaded for over 50 years

Last year I bought a No 1 Varmint in 220 Swift. Accuracy is about "1" @ 100 yds" but I had to do the usual fiddling about to keep the group from wandering. I free floated the forend and stopped with that - God only knows if doing something else would have accomplished the same. I'd also managed to score an old "pre-79" No1 trigger with sear adjustment.

I think in general the No1 accuracy has gotten pretty good on their lighter barreled models. But nowadays I'm leaning more towards the Winchester 1885 model. A 7 WSM and an old Browning 78 in 6mm are each trouble free 1" or less shooters.
  • Options
    bvshooterbvshooter Member Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one in a 270 and one in a 257 Roberts and could easily get 1 inch groups at 100 yds off a sand bag rest using my own handloads which I always worked up for accuracy.