In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1894 win. 32-40 ??

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
local pawn shop has one of these. gun was over polished and reblued, i can live with that because im interested in a shooter. gun is in excellent mechanical cond. looks to have a 26"round barrel with full length mag tube. my question is with the bore, it is bright shiney, not at all what i would expect. rifling appears to be very shallow. is this normal or did someone get overzealous with cleaning the bore. i know your answers can only be speculative but im interested in hearing. can buy for under $600 with 18 rounds of ammo. i do not have a s/n at this time.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always liked the 32-40. I'm thinking it's worn from jacketed bullets or they "cleaned up" a dark/pitted bore.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several 1894s in 32-40 but have not had a lot of luck getting any of them to shoot accurately compared to the other 1894 calibers. Be sure to slug the bore and use non-jacketed bullets at least .002 larger. The relatively recent factory ammo in this caliber has bullets way too small for the bores in my guns. Keep loads a little on the mild side.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello varian,

The advice you have received to this point is based on personal opinion, and I do not agree with it. Specifically;

Jacketed bullets at normal velocities will not damage or cause accelerated wear to the bore of a 32-40 Model 1894 rifle. Winchester manufactured and sold jacketed 32-40 ammo as early as 1896. Worn bores are primarily caused by improper cleaning methods & tools, or just plain old neglect.

The serial number on this Model 1894 would really help, as the 32-40 was available through the year 1937. The "Rifle" variation was also available through December of 1937. Beginning in the early to mid teens (approximately 1913) Winchester began predominantly using Nickel Steel alloy barrels for both the 32-40 and 38-55 chambered Model 1894s (marked MNS, CNS, or BNS on the underside of the barrel). If it is a later production rifle, it should be loaded and shot with jacketed bullets. Additionally, if the barrel is externally marked "NICKEL STEEL", it was expressly made for jacketed bullets. I do agree that slugging the bore is a good place to start, especially if you intend to reload and use cast bullets.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harry Pope had a cure for a worn .32/40 bore, load with cast 8mm boolits, .321 vs .323
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank u all. hope each and all have a very merry Christmas. will get a serial number early next week.
  • bvshooterbvshooter Member Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one years ago and used for hunting with a side mount scope. Been too long to remember my loading data but I shot cast lead bullets and if I remember correctly I could easily get an inch and a half group at 100 yds off a sand bag rest.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    my round barreled 94 win rifle in 32-40 was made in 1913 or so, shoots good with 165gr jacketed bullets at 1800fps. eastbank.