In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Officers Model 1904-1908

area51guyarea51guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know how many of the Colt Officers Model revolvers were made between 1904 and 1908? In those four years, Colt built about 65,000 of the DA swing out revolvers. Out of that number, how many were the target model with adjustable sights and the flat top frame? I am guessing somewhere around 5% or 3,000 guns. Anyone know for sure?
Also, were there any chambered for anything other than the 38 Colt round?

Thanks,

Area51guy

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    first model 38special second model 22 LR and 32 the 32 only made 1932-1942 RARE.I can't find any production Figure but will keep trying
    EDIT However colt did NOT use different serial numbers to depict The Officers model target. I really like to get Colt Letters from Beverly Colt Archive Department. BTW lucky for you The 38Short Colt 38 Long Colt 38 special 357 mag and 357 Maximum all use the same rim diameter and case diameter . Only the length and chamber pressure.
    is different . What exactly does rge barrel read as to Cartridge your gun is chambered. The 38 WADCUTTER used to be a very Popular round and loaded down fairly light . I would NEVER shoot and +p special loads in your pistol ,There is One match At Camp Perry that will allow you to compete for a distinguished Revolver metal But I don't thing the rules allow an adjustable front sight[V] You have a classic target pistol
    EDIT III replied to another post about officer's model pistols and found information in another book I had. Fairly good write up and very good pictures This Book is THE COLT REVOLVER by Charles T. Haven and Frank A. Belden.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will have to dig out my books, but I believe that was the time frame that the New Army and Navy was still in production.

There might have been a adjustable sight, target version of the NA & N? I don't believe it would have been considered a Officers Model though.

I will get back to you.

The Blue Book does list a Officers Model made between 1904 & 1908. It must have been based on the New Army & Navy Model. Flayderman doesn't have it listed in his write-up on the NA & N?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, New Army and Navy pattern. I just
    added one to my collection in 38 Colt
    and need info!

Thanks

Area51guy
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by area51guy
    Yes, New Army and Navy pattern. I just
    added one to my collection in 38 Colt
    and need info!

Thanks

Area51guy

I just did a GOOGLE search on the net, all I came up with was about the later produced Officers Models. Nothing about the earlier version based on the NA & N. You might try to locate somebody who has a copy of the "Book of Colt Firearms", by Sutherland and Wilson. If there is any information regarding them, it would be in there.

Being their is so little information regarding them? Your original estimate of 3000, might be way to generous?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a book, "Colt's New Army and Navy Pattern Revolvers". Covers DA Colts from 1889 thru 1908. Hopefully there will be some info on the 1904-1908 Officers Models.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    area51guy, you will be disappointed on the coverage of the New navy/New Army-based Officers Model. It is very minimal and has some significant errors in it.

Here is a copy of an email exchange I had in September 2009 with the author concerning the coverage of the Officers Model in the book:

Dear Bob:

You may recall that you sold me a copy of your wonderful book back in March of 2009. I have enjoyed it greatly, but as much as I have studied it, I have not been able to reconcile the variances from your book that I find on a 1906 Officers Model I have.

You say the last patent date should be March 5, 1895, but the last patent date on the barrel of this gun is April 9, 1901. You say that the assembly number will have one, two or three digits. This gun has four digits, and three out of the four digits are found in the serial number, again contrary to your book.

This Officers Model has patent dates of August 5, 1884; November 6, 1888; March 5, 1895 and April 9, 1901. The Serial Number is 268XXX. The assembly number is 1648.

Have I got a buzzard Officers Model or do late guns have variances from the norm? I thank you in advance for any help you can give me to explain these variances in my 1906 Officers Model.

Very truly yours,

"JudgeColt"

Hi Judge,

I do remember selling you a copy of my book and I am glad that you have enjoyed it so far.

As for the book, it was actually written back in late 2003 and early 2004. At that time I was primarily interested in the New Army and Navy model guns, but I felt that what I call spin-off guns, the Model 1905 and the Officer's Model revolvers should at least be be mentioned as they were products produced from the New Army and Navy models.

At that time I had scant information on OMs and Model 1905s and just listed what I knew about them. The one's I had in my collection were very early guns and were configured as I stated in the very short descriptions that I wrote on them.

I have since learned consideably more about OMs and you are right. the assembly numbers should be from one to four digits, not one to three digits. Also, the April 9th 1901 patent date refers to a patent by James J. Peard and deals with the sights on the OMs. I don't have my early OMs handy, but as I remember the early guns do not have the 1901 patent date on the barrel...

Since 2003 I have added several OMs to my collection and you gun appears to be standard for the later OM guns.

Over the last five years I have received a number of updates on information in the book. By in large it is still very accurate, but so small items like this have come to light...

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused you!

Hope you have a great evening! :-)

Bob

I never asked Bob how many Officers Models he estimates were made, but I think the number was relatively small because they are seldom seen. 3,000 sounds like a reasonable guesstimate to me. The guns are beautifully made with amazing fit and finish. The side plate line is almost invisible and the mirror polish does not cause or reveal any dishing or loss of sharp line and edges. Absolutely beautiful guns!

ALL Officers Models are chambered for the .38 Special since they are all late enough production to have been made after the end of the .38 Colt chambering.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Judge Colt,

Thanks for your input. I have not received the book yet, so I appreciate your information. Sorry to hear that the book is not as complete as it should be. The numbers on my OM are as follows:
    Serial No. 267xxx
    Assembly No. 1061 (matching in 3 locations)
    Last Patent Date: 1901
    Born in: 1906 (according to my serial info)

Some other production date information that I have indicates that these guns may have stopped production in 1907 rather than 1908. Perhaps those from 1908 were assembled from left over parts? Also, I have a copy of a Colt ad from April of 1904 introducing the OM. If Colt operated then like now, it could well have been 1905 before OM revolvers were available to the buying public. That would narrow the production years to 1905-1907! In which case, an estimate of 3000 copies would likely be much too large!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have just added another OM to my collection with a serial number in the 287xxx range. This is one of the later guns with the Army Special style frame. The patent numbers are the same as the 267xxx gun and apparently marked using the same roll die. The biggest difference that I can see between the two examples is in the design of the sights. The earlier gun has a small round bottom notch in the rear sight while the later (1907) gun has a much larger square notch. The front sight on the early (1904) gun has a round sighting surface that tapers to a point in the front. The later gun uses a much wider front sight with a square sighting view. The cylinder lockup appears to be just about as tight on the earlier gun as on the later one. The grip frame is the same size and style on both guns with the grips being interchangeable between the two. Both have very excellent triggers, especially in single action mode.

I was pleased to see that Bob had added to the discussion. Since my last posting, I have received his book and read it from cover to cover. I was wondering if the 1901 patent date had to do with the adjustable sights.