In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

is this trade worth it?... USGI Inland M1

198four198four Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
Somebody offered me this in a trade:

usgi inland m1, numbers matching. Included with rifle is a reproduction paratrooper stock in new condition, metal handguard (also comes with original) two 15rd repair kits and 3 10rd mags, bayonet w/frog, and a box of 50 american eagle brass cased rounds. Also comes with 1942 dated mag pouch for the stock, and the original sling w/oiler. $1700 OBO. These older M1s are exceedingly hard to come by and I have not seen an older one or any m1 for sale with these accessories, not to mention at this price. Rifle comes with $470 of accesories/ammo alone

As you can see the owner is asking $1700 for the package. Is that a fair price?

The trade is for my Ruger Mini 14 Ranch in like new condition which I had posted for $1150.00. The M1 owner offered his rifle + accesories as an even trade, and since I don't know anything about M1s I thought I should ask.

Your help is really appreciated, let me know!

Thanks

USGIInlandM1carbine1.jpg

USGIInlandM1carbine2.jpg

USGIInlandM1carbine3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Inland wasn't made with matching numbers....all parts were stamped with the manufacture's name or symbol. It would take awhile to go through every part to see if was correct for an Inland since it was rearsenaled as evidence by the rear sight and bayonet lug, it could have mismatched mfg parts. The bolt looks like a round one, which would make it a later made carbine, early ones have a flat bolt which was done to make the gun lighter.

The rifle itself has recently gone up in value probably from the recent gun panic hysteria. Inlands were the most common made at 2.6 million
    and hold a value at around $700.00, the gun buying panic has increased it's value up close to a $1000,

the reproduction M1A1 folding stock is selling over at sarco for 168.00

the bayonet is a post WWII and sells for around $50.00 w/sheath.

the WWII pouch around 30.00

the 5 magazines at around 130.00

the ammo at $ 22.00 per box of 50 (when in stock)

so the carbine outfit is valued around 1100.00 to 1400.00

good luck with your decision to trade or not, Thor
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    My opinion for what it is worth OUTFIT is OVER PRICEDABOUT 50%
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like neither you nor the other guy knows anything about M1 carbines. It may be OK, or it may be a shot out import, worth very little; it's a pig-in-a-poke.

We KNOW that the ranch rifle is a good gun; we don't know about the other. One of you could get burned, & I don't think that there is much chance that it will be the other guy.

Neal

EDIT: Keep in mind, replacing a bad carbine barrel will cost $300 minimum for a commercial barrel, & $400-500 for a USGI barrel. No, you won't see carbines offered for $300; folks trying to sell a carbine with a bad barrel will ask $700, hoping the buyer doesn't know how to tell the difference.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    WELL IMO THEY BOTH ARE OVERPRICED BY A FACTOR OF 2............SO TRADE AWAY
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say the same; a 700 dollar +/- m1 outfit vs a 700 dollar (retail price) mini 14.

I have both, and like them both..so pick your poison.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Ruger is still producing the Mini. I would have taken the trade so fast it would have made his head spin.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't trade,,,well,,,,I DARN SURE WOULD--NOW!
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot both and wouldn't buy/own either one, but that's just me.

I do favor the thought that the ruger is more likely to be the better rifle with out a hands on inspection.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he is offering a 'numbers matching' M1 Carbine, he doesn't know what he is talking about, and you would need to have someone look at it to know if it retains any collector value.

An import mark on the barrel will make it a $ 300.00 rifle, for example.

M1 Carbines are fun little rifles, but there are 1,000s out there that are total pieces of crap.

Your Ruger will always be much more useful.

If the Carbine is in good shootable condition and retains collector value, I'd make the trade. If you are unsure of condition or collector value, there is not enough potential upside in the trade to be worth the risk.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I wish I knew where I could buy a USGI carbine for three hundred bucks!
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Yep, I would do the deal too with one caveat.....I would ask to take the carbine out and shoot it first to make sure I like it...and allow him to do the same with the Ruger. Whoever says they can find a carbine for $300 doesn't live in my area of the world and if the carbine offered shoots well, I would do the deal in a heartbeat. I have several and they are great little guns...very flexible and good shooters and don't believe what you hear about the cartridge...for what it is, it is very good...more powerful than most handguns thats for sure and a hoot to shoot! Rugers are a dime a dozen but good little carbines are harder to find and this might be one...but shoot it first to make sure you like it[:)] Good luck with whatever you do and if you do the deal let us know how it worked it!