In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling Question Money Orders

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
If a sale falls through and I need to refund a buyer's money, do I return his original Money Order or do I deposit it and send him a new one?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    If you already have payment, how does the sale fall through?
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Failure to provide FFL information; Attempt to purchase an item prohibited in his State.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the MO is made out to you he cannot cash it. You will have to cash it, and send a check made out to him.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TWalker
    Failure to provide FFL information; Attempt to purchase an item prohibited in his State.

That is his problem. He screwed up. I would just send the money order back and let him figure out how to get his money.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I send them back what they sent me ! They can return it to where they bought it , and get their money back ! You are going to still have to pay the auction fee though !
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    i would cash it and return 85% of the total[}:)][:(!]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would deposit it, and writ them a check for that amount, less auction fees, and restocking fee's, if you had it described in your auction, to make sure it was legal in his state, before bidding.

Best
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,405 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    i would cash it and return 85% of the total[}:)][:(!]

quote:tsr1965 Posted
    I would deposit it, and writ them a check for that amount, less auction fees, and restocking fee's, if you had it described in your auction, to make sure it was legal in his state, before bidding.

Yep, and yep.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also make sure the the check/money order cleared. Even though they say not, they can be stopped.
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on a few things. First what is your return policy in your listing? that will determin if you keep any of the $.

Next what type of money order is it? May not make much difference here. If it is a US Postal money order all they have to do is take it in with there receipt and get there money back minus what ever they paid for the money order. I recall that banks will also return the $ to the original purchaser, however that was many years or decades ago and I may not remember correct or times may have changed.

Last, make sure the money order is good before you send any $ back. There are counterfeit money orders out there. Never had one when I was selling on that other auction site. If it is small enough and a US Postal money order you can go cash it at the post office (if it is made out to you personally). Otherwise deposit it and call your bank in a week to make sure it cleared. You may also be able to call the bank that issued it and see if it is real. If it is a US Postal money order or one by some other big entity you may not be able to check. It may take some googling to find a contact number if there is not one on the order. I know from past experience of a few years ago the Post Office had no way to verify a valid money order they sold. Odd as they should have had a record of the sale and been able to track the number of the money order.

Next listing make sure you have clear terms of sale. Will make it easier for you if you ever have a similar problem again.