In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'd like to buy a AR-15, what should I Pay?

Montanapete1Montanapete1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
When all the Rush goes away I'd Like to buy a AR-15 in .223 what kind should I look at and what should be my price range? What do you think of the Sonju Indus. AR's? Or should I stick with the Colt model?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Colt is always going to hold it's value, because of name recognition. Even if the gun panic subsides over time, I expect Colt factory original AR's to be top dollar, as compared to the various clones though. If you got the money go with the factory original Colt.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sonju? America's top choice for AR rifles? One dealer in the US? Really?

I'm with rufe-snow; Colt will always be top dog. It is the only real milspec AR sold commercially. But, there are lots of good manufacturers & you won't go wrong with most of them. Do a SEARCH on our archives to read everything you could want to know about AR's.

Just be sure to buy a New In Box rifle, with manufacturers warranty. Avoid the basement-assembled Mixed Parts Mongrels.

My crystal ball tells me that all major brands will have a MSRP that is 10-20% higher a year from now.

Neal
  • Options
    segerseger Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also buy one with a Nato 5.56 barrel . That way you can shoot both .223 and 5.56 SAFELY. 5.56 Nato is a hotter round with more pressure. Personally I built my own .I recently married a Colt SP-4 16" Upper to a CMMG lower with a Magpul Stock and Magpul Grip. Did it for $1,200.You will pay top dollar for a Colt, especially now,ask yourself ,do I want a reliable shooter or an expensive shooter.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Montanapete1
    When all the Rush goes away I'd Like to buy a AR-15 in .223 what kind should I look at and what should be my price range? What do you think of the Sonju Indus. AR's? Or should I stick with the Colt model?

The main question is what do you want to do with it?

If you're going to like 98% of AR-15 buyers, you'll bring out the thing a few times a year to fire at the range, and the rest of the time it will sit in a safe waiting for the zombie apocalypse (that never materializes) .

For that purpose, pretty much ANY AR can work, so long as the thing runs OK (which pretty much all of them from any reputable manufacturer will).

Once panic prices subside you'll be looking at something on the order of $800-2000, and the question is what bells and whistles you want on the thing. Match barrel? Optics? Trigger? Etc.
  • Options
    Steve02c5Steve02c5 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Montanapete1

Just paid double MSRP for a COLT AR-15 LE 6920 NIB and proud of it.
  • Options
    Montanapete1Montanapete1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I was thinking of Going down the Colt Road. Sonju is a local company that, I was thinking of spending some money with. I would take it out a few times a year, Gopher hunting; etc. For the most part she'd be a safe queen. So a basic model colt, any models I should be on the look out for? IMHO I think prices will come back down to earth once people figure out Obama can't run the govt. with a wish list. I knew I should have bought it about 6 months ago, LOL. Well now I'll wait out the rush. I'll put a few more down range out of my other guns.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock River's are a good value for a shooter. In my experience the Bushmaster's are among the most accurate and like others have said, the Colt's will always hold thier value.
    I still am seeing the silly things selling for $2500. I would go over to the auction side and search the completed listings. This will give you some idea of how they are trending price-wise. I STILL think they are higher than they will be unless a ban actually happens.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was watching a DPMS 2 nights ago NIB sold for ~$900.

Didn't have the forward assist.