In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Drilling Gun Identification.

sideman8sideman8 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
Trying to get some information on the 3 barrel shotgun. http://postimage.org/image/wtjromy95/

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only thing that can be discerned from your photo is the proof date of 11/44. This would be November 1944, just 6 months before the German surrender ended the war in Europe.

At this late date, needless to say very few commercial firearms were being made in Germany.

We of course would need additional quality photos to identify the Drilling. That said, the only drilling that would be produced at this late date, that I could think of. Would be the Sauer Model 30 that was made as a survival firearm for the Luftwaffe.

EDIT #1, You didn't hit the jackpot, I'm afraid. It's definitely not one of the Luftwaffe Sauer's, if it's chambered for the 8 X 72R cartridge. They were 9.3 X 74R, caliber.

It would have to be much older. Probably an old pre W W I drilling, that was repaired and made serviceable for hunting, at the end of W W II. The "Eagle J" proof mark denotes rework/repair. This would explain in all probability the proof date of 11/44.
  • Options
    sideman8sideman8 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was really hoping for a three barreled shotgun. Nice to Nitro on the proof. 8x72 R could also be a Sauer cartridge, with luck it might be re-formable from 9.3 x 72 R brass
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Hi,
    I have an Emil Kerner Drilling in 16 x 16 x 8x72R. Proofed in 1926. The original caliber stamping under the barrels is "7.7" & "72". 8x72R can be formed from 9.3x72R, but that brass is hard enough to find, an dies are about $150.