In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rust and pitting

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
Suggestions on the best method to mitigate and minimize the appearance of this rusting and pitting? I don't own this auto 5, but am considering it if I can clean that up a bit. Thanks

Auto-5_zps0bd89cbb.jpg

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like blood pitting to me. Doubtful if it would buff all the way out on a plain jane one. Looks like a semi fancy hunter to me.

You could use the pee tube on wd-40 to power wash the bottom of the pits. Kroil oil and burlap.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would blast it with abrasive grit then dip blue it. The abrasive leave a mat surface on the steel which tends to blend in with the pitting, hiding it to a extent.

If you intend to use it outside in duckblinds, or rough hunting? Have it Parkerized, after blasting rather then blued. The Parkerizing seem better for hiding pitting than a blued surface.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stainless steel wool and G-96 oil degrease, then G96 blue paste.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass wool and CLP. The brass wool won't cut the metal and will be easier on the surrounding blue. With those patches you are going to have to make a decision over touch-blue or a full reblue. If you are going to reblue, take it to a reputable bluer and let him guide you on the best way to mitigate the damage.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blasting will ruin the hand engraving on the receiver.
    I would remove the rust will 0000 steel wool or brass wool. I doubt touch up bluing will be necessary. I certainly wouldn't reblue the gun over that amount of rust.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    another vote for KROIL and BURLAP remove wood wrap receiver in paper towel Then wet towel Put in zip lock bag let set 24 Hours Then scrub with burlap. . Then use Black fingernail polish to fill the pits after cleaning pits with Carb Cleaner.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm for the kroil and burlap method, too. That's a nice looking old finish on that receiver...preserve it!
    What's next?