In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Cobra in 4" barrel..

JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
image_1361301360076814_zps332e820a.jpg

Greetings all.

A friend of mine owns this here Colt Cobra in 4" barrel.

It seems to be in quite a good shape. How common is this configuration? About how much is it worth?

Thanks in advance.

R/

Dr D.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's actually marked "COBRA" on the barrel? It't quite a unusual revolver, IMHO.

It might be worth getting a Colt letter. Between the 4" barrel and pearl grips, ( If their not Jay Scot phonies? ). Might turn out to be a special order piece.

If you had documentation from Colt authenticating the barrel and grips as being factory, it would be a very desirable collectors item.

EDIT #1, As the barrel is marked Cobra, it might be authentic? Carefully take off the grips to see if they are Mother of Pearl, or composites with a white plastic exterior made to imitate MOP.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We would need better photos of the gun --- close-up, well lit, & in focus. We need to be able to read all markings.

Neal

EDIT: Well, since that's the best you can do......the Cobra (1st model) production started in 1950. Your friend's has the square butt, making it an early gun. Original grips were likely plastic:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=322091896
    The most common barrel was 2", but it was also cataloged in 3" & 4"; the 3" brings a premium. Assuming your friend's gun is in 95% condition, I would expect it to bring $300-400, maybe more if he lives on an island.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe, thanks Neal.

That's what we thought - a replacement barrel.

I don't have the gun in my posession; only this picture.

EDIT:

My friend says the barrel reads: Colt Cobra .38 Special CTG.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those aren't authentic Colt pearl grips.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector
    Those aren't authentic Colt pearl grips.

Definitely not.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the Cobra was introduced, a 4-inch barrel with the square butt was as standard version of the Cobra, along with the more common 2-inch barrel with the round butt. It was not a "special order" length.