In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Non OEM magazines.

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a replacement mag for a savage Anschluss bolt action rifle several months ago. Finally had the opportunity to try it out.

It fit a little snug compared to the original.

And the bolt won't strip and feed.

Is this something I should expect? And should I try to "tune it up" with some files?

Or toss it and search the Internet some more?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can't return it, you may as well try to fit it. But, you really shouldn't have to do that.

Few manufacturers actually make their own magazines. Without identification stamped on it, you really don't know if it was made by the OEM manufacturer or an aftermarket company that makes junk. Mec-Gar makes mags for many well known manufacturers, so, it you can't buy one sold by your manufacturer, see if your mag is listed by them.

Otherwise, you pays your money & you takes your chances.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are willing to toss it in the trash now without any problems then by all means I'd go for fitting it. Worst than can happen is you waste time and then throw it in the trash.

Fitting a magazine is some what of a black art. Carefully compare a proper working one to the "looser". Dial caliper and note pad. Inside and out, plus the spring and follower should be compared. Lip profile can be very tricky to modify.

The locking notch location and size is important. If it is too low the bolt will not strip the rounds.

If the mag fits too tight it might not settle into the correct alignment. Try pushing forward or rearward on the mag while working the bolt ( a 3rd hand is nice and good dummy rounds would to the safety aspect).

Removing metal is easy, putting it back is much harder! A small ball peen hammer, a lead block and needle files are my tools of choice.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the insight.
    I'll waste a rainy day and see what happens.