In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR build question.

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
16 inch barrel.

Old style non rail foregrip.

Go with 12 inch foregrip or 7 inch?

Looks like either would work.

Which would look better?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It would depend on the gas block or sight tower.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would take the longer of the two. It should just cover the gas block. Using a low profile it should fit over it.

If you want to save minimal weight it won't hurt anything to go with the shorter fore-end. As long as you don't go grabbing the barrel after you've shot it a lot.[;)] It's going to look a little odd, but no matter if it fits your needs.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your normal hand position is close to the receiver, the shorter handguard will work. If you support the rifle well out from the receiver, the longer handguard is the choice.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appearance is subjective. Whichever you think looks better is the one that looks better.

Personally, I think the 12 inch would probably look a little better AND be a bit more functional (less chance of burning yourself on a hot barrel), so that's what I'd go with.

But see above.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    If your normal hand position is close to the receiver, the shorter handguard will work. If you support the rifle well out from the receiver, the longer handguard is the choice.

Correct your arm length can come into play here.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    If you are talking about 2 piece handguards with a delta ring, then I believe that the location of the gas port on the barrel is going to dictate which length you need.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. Someone was doing a build. I had both.
    Sent him the 12".
    Started to send both. But the mailer tube was too short. [:)]

I think 12" is the right answer. From a function and aesthetic point of view.

Thanks for your input and brainpower.