In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1187 choke tubes for OO Buckshot

kyteachkyteach Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

Which tubes are best for OO buckshot?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the ammo first, then what you it to do. A good start is improved cylinder but you need to actually pattern the ammo at your expected distance.
  • Options
    kyteachkyteach Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Depends on the ammo first, then what you it to do. A good start is improved cylinder but you need to actually pattern the ammo at your expected distance.

Thanks, I have heard that it is not good to put OO through full choke.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the nicest factory loads I ever used was the copper plated and buffered 18 pellet 3" mag load from Winchester.

I like my 12 pellet hard cast 2 3/4 short mag load. One of these days I'll get around to making #4 buck.

My favorite choke tube of the 5 I have is marked #2 Skeet. Works well with everything I run, Lyman sabot slugs, OO and #4 buck and 2,5,6,7.5.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Modified is about the tightest to go with. As said you need to pattern your gun with OO at different distances [;)]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot a lot of 00 through cylinder bore and improved cylinder barrels. Both work fine.

I have not shot much through modified, but the few I have fired also worked fine. Since I did not have a pattern board at varying distances, I couldn't say what type of "improvement" these patterns had with this tighter choke over the more open ones.

I have not fired 00 through anything tighter than modified.

For a real tight 00 pattern with just about any choke, Federal's "flite control" wad is amazing. Even with a cylinder choke it keeps the 00 shot in close for a suprising distance.

I prefer the #1 buck myself for defense, here's a U-tube of the #1 Flitecontrol load: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0
  • Options
    tdbpartstdbparts Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot a lot of Winchester 00 buck through a TruChoke full tube, with great results.
    Some ammo may pattern better with Modified, or Improved Modified.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And all this time I thought the purpose of buckshot was a wide pattern.[:0][B)][:I]