In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9 x 17.2 Frommer Stop Ammunition

area51guyarea51guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a box of 25 rds of the 9mm ammo for the Hungarian Frommer Stop pistol. It is very close in size to 380 ACP, but uses a .350 diameter bullet instead of the .356 diameter bullet. The (original) box is marked 9mm Bayard. This is NOT the 9mm Bayard Long round. Any ideas on the rarity and value of this box of ammo? The box has been opened, but it is in very good condition.

Thanks,

area51guy

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some close up focused images of the box and the cartridge, especially the headstamp, would help greatly. Check the stickies at the top of this forum for instructions on how to post images. [:)]
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Area51guy,

Can't help on the value, but maybe this link can shed more light on what you have? In other words, 9mm Bayard Short by one name?

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4560&view=next

Question I have, how did you determine they are for the Frommer, and for which model?

EDITArea51, Ok, your dimensions for the bullet do indicate the 9mm-Frommer cartridge, a specifically hot little round made for the Frommer pistol proper. And sporting a heavy crimp.

Yet what is confusing is your box marking, for the 9mm-Bayard uses the 0.355 bullet and other dimensions are completely different?

At any rate, here in the States at least, either would be none to common. I'd head over to cartridge collector web-sites to try to distiguish monetary value.

45er
  • Options
    area51guyarea51guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I determined which pistol they were for by taking measurments of the case rim, base, mouth, length, bullet diameter and overall length. All of the measurements were very close (within a few 1/1000s) to existing standards. The real giveaway was the bullet diameter which measured at .350". It is the only small pistol bullet in that size. The overall dimensions are close to those of the 380 ACP round, but it's bullet measures 0.356". While that is close enough to get away with shooting the 380 ACP or 9mm Kurtz round in the Frommer Stop pistol, it clearly is not the correct round for that pistol.

area51guy

quote:Originally posted by 45er
    Area51guy,

Can't help on the value, but maybe this link can shed more light on what you have? In other words, 9mm Bayard Short by one name?

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4560&view=next

Question I have, how did you determine they are for the Frommer, and for which model?

45er
    [a spaceman from the past, but they haven't caught me yet. =:o ]