In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

purchasing assault rifle in another state

imadorkimadork Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I live in California, where assault weapons are illegal. Let's say I wanted to purchase a Bushmaster M4 in, for example, Nevada where there is no assault weapons ban. Let's say I wanted to leave the rifle in Nevada, and thus not violate California law against importing assault weapons into the state. Would I be able to purchase said assault rifle in Nevada being a California resident or would they not sell it to me?

Comments

• Options
    kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There isn't any legal reason I know of why they wouldn't sell you a long gun. Handguns can only be sold to a resident of the same state as the gun dealer, but long guns are OK as long as you go to the dealer in person, no mail order sales.
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you can buy a gun out of state.
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "oh" one other thing leave californiagun laws suck there.
  • Options
    J.JohnJ.John Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kaboom is correct. You can buy a long gun, but not a hand gun, out of state.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think so. You cannot buy a long gun in another state IF that would violate the law in your state of residence. If you also own property in Nevada and can establish residence there, then you may be able to buy and store the rifle in Nevada.Neal
  • Options
    M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once again, Neal is correct. If the sale would violate the laws of your state of residence, it's a no go.
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several months ago I tried to do just that. The difference with my situation was that I tried to buy a long gun that is legal in CA (mini 14). All was fine until they asked for my drivers license for the Brady background. Talk about bursting someone's bubble! They explained that in order to buy, I have to establish residency in the state.
  • Options
    imadorkimadork Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    god damn it. Now I have to buy that condo in Incline Village!