In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S & W 5906

tommix2tommix2 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at buying a used S & W model 5906...Does anyone have any feed back on their reliability over all quality of this model? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 5906 has the stainless steel frame (it's heavy, but soft on the recoil side); buying used I'd feel better with the 5906 than the 5904 which is the same gun but with the aluminum frame.There are a good number of 59 series Smith and Wessons that are on the market as the result of police trade-ins; sometimes these can be pretty well used. Buying used, you have no factory warrenty--sometimes good gun shops will offer their own warrenty on used guns.Overall the quility/reliability of the 59 series S&Ws is good; I have a general "design complaint" about the magazine--the taper where the double column of bullets is forced to the single line to the magazine lips is designed in a way that creates more "friction" than the design of the taper in other mags--but with good quality mags you shouldn't have any feeding problems (cheaper mags w/ weak springs and you might have trouble).
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just don't pay too much for it.Personally, I wouldn't pay > $300. If you are going to pay more than that, there are better calibers and more modern designs from other manufacturers available.Neal
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 5906 is extremely reliable, passably accurate, and very durable. The trigger pulls are good in both DA/SA modes, and magazines are relatively cheap and abundant. There is a good selection of holsters available too. The NIB retail is in the $550 range, so what you pay for used is largely dependent on condition and what accessories are included. The Police trade-ins are wholesaling around $300, and are low-mileage as far as round count is concerned. Handling dings are usually part of these deals.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to be a stickler, but NIB retail is NOT $550! NIB wholesale dealer cost is more than that. Retail is almost $800, not that you'd ever have to pay that, but that is the actual retail price. It is however true that there are lots of police trade-ins out there right now for the $275-425 range. It depends on the number of mags, night sights, condition, etc.
  • Options
    tommix2tommix2 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone that has replied....Do any of your have any sugestions for an alternate choice in lieu of the model 5906?
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of these and put the Hogue grips on it. I should have just put the Hogue grip sleeve on. I bought it back around 1991 I think and shortly thereafter picked up 500 rounds at a gunshow. I took it out one day and it digested the first 450 rounds without even being cleaned or oiled without a single malfunction. It finally jammed due to being extremely filthy somewhere between 450 and 500. The ammo was ball type and was the cheapest garbage I could find but the gun ate it up. This was only a test for my own satisfaction and I felt the gun did fine. I keep it clean and feed it silvertips or hydra shocks now. I don't know about price for a new one, but know I'll be keep'en this one.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom, since you are getting close to the maximum # of comments on this string, now might be a good time to post your question about alternatives on the General Discussion board (especially since our moderator will ask you to do that anyway.)The great thing is that it's difficult to make a bad choice today among modern name-brand handguns. Most police depts that traded in 9mm's like the S&W you considered have gone to Glocks, Sigs, Brownings, and Rugers, most in .40 and a few in .45. Your needs as far as size, weight, features, & budget will determine the best choice for you.Neal
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I've got several of the third generation Smith's, including two of the 5906's. They are excellent guns. My only suggestion, get the steel frame, not the alloy.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have a couple of S&W 5906's available at $275 plus shipping to your dealer. They both have one factory high capacity magazine.
    "In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the 5906's from 74cuda. It was a police trade. The grips had a few scratches, and it showed some holster wear, but it was mechanically perfect. I was very happy with the deal.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!