In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rust

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a wwII firearm that has rust on it. There is an applicant that'll make rust disappear. From Texas, any help?
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just purchased an old Mauser Military rifle, and I want to remove some surface rust,are there any products out there that make this job a little easier
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In moving guns hidden from all over the house to my new gun safe, I found a couple with light rust on the barrel. What is the expert opinion for removing this? Does this mean that I will have to re-blue?Thanks guys,Jeff
    cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found rust on my colt cowboy on the case harndened areas. I cleaned it and oiled. Is there anything else I can do. Is this something a gunsmith can fixed or do I need to send it to Colt. Thank You.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put CLP on them and let it sit a day.Then rub a penny everywhere there is rust for a few minutes and wipe down.It works.May need to repeat a day or two.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks CPERMD, but what is this stuff and where do I get it. Sorry, but this is why I never call myself an expert!Jeff
  • Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stuff cpermd is refering to is called "Break Free CPL". It's a cleaner, lubricant and preservative that's available at any GOOD sporting goods shop or some hardware stores. The stuff really works. Follow the directions and you'll have no problems.Tideman
    "Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Kroil and 0000 steel wool to successfully remove some surface rust.Unfortunately, all of these methods remove only the very lightest of surface rust. Rust is a simple chemical reaction: the replacement of the iron in steel by ferric oxide. When steel is gone, it's gone.Hopefully you will use a dessicant or drying lamp in your new safe.Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is Scotch Bright too rough to use? Yes, I have a golden rod in the safe.Thanks,Jeff
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really liked the Gun Polish Hoppes was making; it worked well for removing light rust--but haven't seen it for sale for about two years.Flitz is my next choice.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do NOT use Scotch Brite!Will Shred bluing.Surely you have a penny?cpermd
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you use, try it out first somewhere its results won't show, such as below the wood. Different materials, different people, different amount of effort always likely to produce different results. Without trying, if you don't like the result, you probably won't be able to un-do it.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Do what the doc said, I second the motion, it really works.
    Eat healthy, excercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for advise guys. It looks like I got it in time. The surfaces still look good. I should have got that safe 6 months ago. BTW, someone told me to store my pistols in the safe uncovered - no case, rug, etc. Is this a good plan? Thanks again,Jeff
  • Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a safe and heating rod also.I think their idea of storing the guns uncovered is a line of thinking where fabric attracts and retains moisture, whereas a gun out in the open will have air flow around it.I keep mine side by side on a small wooden rack I made on one shelf for this reason, but the heating rod is probably enough. The idea is just to have a decent amount of airflow around the guns.