In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 500...buy it?

Jeffdeg45Jeffdeg45 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
I local store in my area is running a Mossberg 500 12ga shotgun, hardwood stock, 28" vent-rib barrel, and 3-in chamber for $169. Is this a good deal, and should I buy it? This is my first shotgun so I want a good starter gun for bird hunting(ducks, turkey, dove,etc). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Comments

• bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossbergs are pretty good guns, and, if it is new, $169 is a good price. For not too much more, Walmart sells Remington 870's with a screw-in choke. Over the long haul, you would be happier with the Remington.
  • hyperspacehyperspace Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't beat that for a starter shotgun, in my opinion.
  • luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeff-You won't be sorry you bought it at that price. You can also get other barrels (different lengths, rifled for sabots, etc) from places like Cabelas. Mossberg makes a good tough shotgun. The 500 has dual action bars, unlike some other inexpensive pump guns, which make the action very positive. Only drawback is the plastic safety button, which you can replace with a steel one from Brownells.
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Ditto all of the above. I own a 500 & 590. Couldn't be more pleased.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500 is good cheap defense gun.not good hunting gun.the long barrel warps with temperature changeyou can't get consistant pattern.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Just buy it! You know you want it!________________________ I have 2 of them- both excellent. Darn- I payed $189.00 for mine!!!_________________________ My favorite though is the Remington 1100.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it. And I would have to disagree about the Mossbergs worth for hunting. Mine is pretty good in the woods. Deer, turkey squirrel, grouse... does it all.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Jeffdeg45Jeffdeg45 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone for replying. I went to buy it and they said they were sold out. I guess thats what I get for not going ahead and buying it. I will definetely buy one next time they go on sale. Thanks again, Jeff
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Jeff,I don`t know how it is around Nashville,but I bought one(Plain barrel) in a pawn shop for $100.00 + the usual.Also bought one(like new) at a show for $125.00.Maybe you could look around and find one that way..218
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a starter(your first gun) I don't think you could beat the 500. It's inexpensive, so no great loss if you find you don't enjoy hunting. It is also versatile. If you're happy with hunting, it will grow with you. There are many add on barrels etc available for it.
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jet, if your barrel is warping from the heat, then hell can't be all that bad if they let you bring your guns.