In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 springfield trap door

Rob3448Rob3448 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Sorry about all the questions i have an old 45-70 springfield goverment model trap-door musket. 1 think it was made around 1880. Can moderen 45-70 ammo bu used in this gun? I would like to take it out shooting! I would also like to know the value of the gun it is 99% and i don't think it was ever fired. maybe i should not fire it if it's worth alot. The stock is perfect but there is one small scratch but other that that the gun is like new.What would it be worth?[This message has been edited by Rob3448 (edited 01-27-2002).]

Comments

• Options
    talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commercially loaded 45-70 cartridges are safe to use in trapdoors, as long as there is no notices/warnings on the box that state otherwise. The trapdoor is one of the weakest of the rifles that use this cartridge, and you should know that some people who have "stronger" rifles sometimes have more potent loads around. These could blow up your trapdoor action if you use them. DO NOT trust any 45/70 ammo that you haven't bought off a retail store shelf, or loaded yourself.
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have two 1884 trap doors that i shoot remington factory ammo with no problem.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    All of the above are correct....BUT...as Saxon says, if your's is an original, unmolested Trapdoor in excellent condition, it's really too valuable to shoot.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys, I have to disagree with you as to the value. Original Springfield Trapdoor rifles are fairly common and the prices are now down to about $500-$600 for many models. One that can be documented as an 1873 models in the Little Big Horn serial range will commend a premium. Seearch the auctions and you'll see the going prices.As for shooting, commercial ammo not marked "for Marlins, Ruger No. 1s, etc." (in other words standard pressure ammo) is safe to shoot in a Trapdoor that has passed a gunsmith's evaluation. You should only use soft lead bullets, since the metalurgy is not up to today's standards, and jacketed bullets will accelerate wear in the barrel.I prefer handloading and using a mild load of either XMP-5744 or H-4198.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PMC has a lead bullet smokeless load, that duplicates the old blackpowder loading. The trapdoor doesn't have a nickel steel barrel, jacketed bullets will eventually wear your rifling.WOODS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i don't think i have ever seen a trapdoor in 99% oridginal and not redone. how about a pic?[This message has been edited by toolman9mm (edited 01-28-2002).]
  • Options
    Rob3448Rob3448 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i will put a pic up as soon as i can the gun is not at my house it's still at my dads. he lives about 50 miles away so i don't get there but once a month
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks i will be looking for the pic. anyway even if its worth a $1000 i would still throw lead out of it. just my opinion. unless it had some type of historical value.[This message has been edited by toolman9mm (edited 01-28-2002).]