In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model 40

loopasloopas Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone else love these old war clubs like I do ? I own several in Skeet Grade and Field Grade all as they came from the factory. They are in excellent condition and contrary to the internet slander these shotguns receive they shoot just fine. Recently I viewed one that might be a factory pigeon grade, it had a pigeon engraved in the outer trigger guard and the stock had a slightly fancier cut, also the barrel was redlined, and the Cutts compensator had a spreader. Its serial number is in the 11XXX range. The owner to their knowledge claim it is a factory model. It just might be, then again it just might not be. Any other Model 40 groupies feel free to add your input.

Comments

• loopasloopas Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a man that is wanting to sell me a winchester model 40 but he has messed up on the model # or just put down the wrong gauge I have the ser.# if that would help anyone answer the question of is it a model 40 or not.
  • loopasloopas Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me why the model 40 had such a short lived production era? (1939-1942)What problems did it have?
  • talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "To control recoil, a buffer provided sufficient friction to slow down the rearward moving barrel. This system was far from satisfactory..." is a comment made by the authority, Mr G. Madis. Reading between the lines, this strong recoil did lots of damage to the m40, and the factory received so many in for repairs that they didn't charge for the needed work. At the end (c1941), Winchester was exchanging m40 turn-ins for new m97,12,24&42s at the customer's option. That's why there's so few around now.(about 12,000 were produced...something the company would like to forget about)