In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Polymer frame 9mm under $400??

psantospsantos Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
I guess Ruger a P95 would fit the bill, although a local dealer pushes the Glock. He claims poor accuracy with the Ruger.Anyone have a p95? I have a glock looking for DA trigger.The Charles Daly looks like junk, any opinions??ThxPaul

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he can't be shooting the same Rugers that I am. If you have the $$$,get the glock, but the Ruger won't disappoint you either. They are great products for the price.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong with either one. Buy the one that feels best in your hand and points the best for you.
    PC=BS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys:Should I go for the Ruger 9mm or the 45 auto?I like 45's but I am a little concerned about recoil in the polymer frame.I have shot a Glock 30 it is a cannon(to me anyway), I have shot a Glock 19 it is much easier to shoot!ThxPaul
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you felt that a .45 was too much, or maybe even a little uncomfortable, I would advise against it. You should be comfortable and NOT anticipating recoil, if you are, go smaller. I advise you take a look at the 40 s&w. It hits hard but with less recoil.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    It always puzzles me that folks will complain about the recoil of a .45 but like the 9mm. The muzzle energy 0r a .45 (shooting 230 gr. ball - mil spec) is about 320 ft/lbs, a 9mm 125 gr. at 1100 fps gives about 400 ft/lbs. In equal weight pistols, the 9 will recoil harder.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot some guys p97 at the range once.....i didn't care for the polymer grips but as far as recoil and accuracy goes.....same recoil as a 9mm, and accuracy was great....
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur. I did the math once but don't know what the difference is in felt recoil between the two anymore. However, I have shot the Beretta 92 in 9mm extensively and I have also owned a Colt 1991A1 in .45 ACP. The Colt was easier to shoot than the Beretta. Less felt recoil also depends on the design of the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is interesting (regarding recoil), I have a Beretta 9mm and a Kimber custom.Shooting 115 gr and 230 hardball the Beretta definitely recoils less!Heavier bullets always seem to have more recoil.I have found with standard loads, 230 gr hardball always recoils more than 115 gr 9mm.Paul
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you will use it for. The 9mm KelTec is worth considering. I have shot mine quite a bit with standard 9mm hardball and never thought about recoil.
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shootist3006, what kicks back is the momentum of the bullet, not the energy. The momentum is the mass of the bullet times velocity. Energy is one half the mass of the bullet times the square of velocity. Then to complicate matters, the maximum force of the recoil (as felt in the hand) depends on the details of the graph of force versus time. The area under that graph is called impulse, which is equal to the total momentum that your hand needs to absorb from the bullet, neglecting other small effects like moving columns of gas. So depending on the gun (action), the shooter can feel different maximum forces. The ideal is to stretch the time as long as possible to drop the maximum force down. The opposite of the ideal would be to shorten the time and increase the maximum force. It's also good to have roughly the same force over the entire time, since if it goes down in one place on the curve it has to go up in another to keep the area under the curve the same. Part of the design of a really good semi-automatic pistol will take this into account. With a revolver, there's not much the gun maker can do to change the curve shape. (I saw a really good explanation of this once on the net, but I can't remember where.)So the bottom line is that if a particular gun-cartridge combination feels like it has less recoil than another, I would trust the subjective impression rather than a simple comparison of bullet weights and velocities.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Kel Tec??I have one like brand new, I would never carry it!! to many problems.(needed new barrel, then firing pin broke, Great customer service by the way!! I just don't trust it at this point.Maybe I should list it in classifiedsPaul
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PSANTOS: I have a new P-95 with about 1,500+ rounds through it since the first of this month. Shot 500 rds of UMC and 1,000 rds of Wolf with no problems and super good accuracy at 10yds and 25yds. Own 10 Ruger handguns (4 semis) and never had a problem with accuracy, function or reliability. I like my S&W pistols also but love my Rugers. That's my two cents worth but get whatever you like that fits you and suits your needs best.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing I noticed that makes a big impact on recoil is position of your hand in relation to the barrel. The Higher the barrel, the snappier the recoil, and the lower, the smoother it is.For instance, the recoil on my ruger 9mm is much snappier than on my glock 40cal. When I shoot the ruger, hy hand jerks a bit. When I shoot my glock, much of the felt recoil is absorbed by my whole arm instead of just my hand. I held my two guns and put them side by side, trigger finger to trigger finger. The Ruger's Barrel is 1/4" higher than my glock's. Food for thought.If you aren't sure if you want the 9mm or the 45, why not get the 40? It's the perfect middle ground - more stopping power than the 9mm, generally higher capacities than the 45, etc.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PSANTOS,If you want to get rid of the Kel-tec, email me.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com