In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Mini -14 preban?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
A fellow has a Mini-14 for sale and says it is a preban. The asking price is too low, in my opinion, for such an animal. How does one tell if this particular firearm was manufactured prior to 1994? The serial number begins with: #181-XXXXX. Real nice shape with several hi-cap mags. If a preban I may consider buying. Any help appreciated. Thanks.[This message has been edited by gunpaq (edited 01-30-2002).]

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunpaq,As has been discussed here before, there really isn't a "pre-ban" Mini-14 except for the "government model" configured with the bayonet lug, flash hider and sometimes folding stock.The regular Mini-14 has always been a "sport" rifle not an "assault" rifle (by '94 Crime Bill rules).If someone had accessorized their Mini-14 before the '94 Crime Bill into an "assault" configuration, the gun was "grandfathered" and legal. To take any Mini-14 (either recent manufacture or manufactured before the '94 bill) and to now add features to make it an "assault" weapon is technically illegal.That said, as a practical matter, it would be difficult for the government to prove that a pre '94 gun in an "assault" configuration was "manufactured" illegally--but I wouldn't want to have to defend myself against the charge.The only sure way to find the manufacture date is to call Ruger. Their website is: www.ruger.com You can find their numbers there.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While the GB obviously qualifies as an "assault rifle" with its flash hidder and bayonet lug, a non-GB with factory folding stock would also qualify (folding stock and "conspiciously protruding pistol grip"), as would a Mini modified before 9-13-94 with the necessary forbidden characteristics. This is why this is such a muddy area. However, as mentioned, unless a Mini had the required "forbidden" features on 9-13-94, they may not be legally added now, no matter when the Mini was made.
  • Options
    gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    The previous responses are all totally correct regarding modifications.To answer your question on if it's been made prior to the '94 ban, the answer is "YES". Any standard mini 14 before serial #186 in general was made before 1994 (don't know exact serial # cut-off). My mini has a #182 prfix and it was made in July, 1981, so your #181 was definitely made before that. The ranch model has a higher cut off which I am not too sure of, but it's not involved here anyway.If you want, you can call Ruger @ 603-863-3300 and ask for "export". They are nice people and will tell you when your mini was made and if it was a "run-of-mill" mini or something special.If that pre-ban mini is not "grandfathered" as an assault rifle and you plan on putting some of the evil things on it, I recommend you get a GB model instead. Oh, and make sure you get a GB that's not marked "L.E.O." or "For Law Enforcement Use Only" or similar markings.That's why I am getting a GB myself. Will cost me a little more, but at least I will have a peace of mind when I trick it up a little more.Hope this helped.GD
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it is worth, I finally found a site with Ruger rifle serial number ranges by year. I already knew that 180-series Minis were the first series introduced in 1974 ( have a very early one, with the walnut stock, aluminum butt plate, M1-style rear sight and M10/22-style front sight), so I figured the 181-series would undoubtedly also be in the 1970s as well, but I did not want to say anything until I found the serial number site. The site is: www.sportables.com/ruger_rifles.htm My GB stainless folder (186-31XXX) shows as 1992 on the charts, but I bought it new from Kieslers in April of 1994, so who knows about these charts? I guess a factory letter may be needed, but that would only show when it was shipped from Ruger, not when it was actually made. (The old myth, that new production keeps being put on top of a particular boxed gun for years in the warehouse, keeping the old gun from ever getting shipped until years later, may even be true in some cases, maybe mine. That could have happened at the factory, or at the distrubutors, or both, to account for the variation from the charts.)I wonder if the GB is serialed in with the regular Minis? I was surprised to see that the Ranch and the standard Mini are in different ranges.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I certainly appreciate all the info for it is a big help. The Mini-14 was not on my "to get" list but the asking price is too inviting not to look into it. So, thanks again for the info.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.